Sum results of concatenate formula

efx888

I can’t for the life of me figure this out; neither on my own nor through hours of googling. Here’s the deal:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I have a column of numbers I want to sum (or sumif.) These numbers are the result of several other functions. I THINK the root of the problem is that the numbers are pulled from the results of a CONCATENATE function (I used this to nest 17 IF functions.) I think that’s the root of the problem because I can’t seem to change the format to a number. (I changed it in the ‘format cells’ window, but none of the number styles do anything which would indicate a successful format change.) I’ve also used the LEFT and LEN functions to try to eliminate any non-number characters that, from what I’ve read, can be ‘non-printable?’ and can result from concatenating cells.
Here’s the part that’s really confusing though – If I manually write in an equation to sum two values resulting from the concatenate function, for example, A1+A2, then it gives me the sum, but, again, the formula =SUM(A1:A2) just gives me 0. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>
I hope this description of my problem makes sense. It barely does to me. Any help would be great. Thanks.<o:p></o:p>

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Welcome to the board...

Ideally, I would re-evaluate your concatenated 17 nested IF formula.
There's likely a better way...
Post that formula if you want to try to improve it.

That said, try just adding 0 to the end of your concatenate formula

=CONCATENATE(...,...)+0

That should make them actual numbers instead of "number stored as text"

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Adding +0 worked. I was overjoyed. It was like Christmas morning when I saw that comma seperator pop up. Thank you so much.
As you mentioned, yes, I'm sure there is a better way to do it. All I really wanted to do was nest 17 IF functions, but as far as I know, you can only nest 7(?)
This forum has been a great help, even before I became a member. I'll certainly have more questions in the future, so I'm glad I have this resource.

Upvote 0
Glad to help...

Still would like to see your 17 nested if formula...
I'm 99% certain there's a better/simpler way to accomplish the same goal.

Upvote 0
Usually if you need that many IF functions there is usually a better way. I rarely use 3, let alone any more than that.

A lot of times a VLOOKUP or LOOKUP function is better suited.

Upvote 0
Here is the formula:
=CONCATENATE(IF(A6=1,O$6,""),IF(A6=2,O$7,""),IF(A6=3,O$8,""),IF(A6=4,O$9,""),IF(A6=5,O$10,""),IF(A6=6,O$11,""),IF(A6=7,O$12,""),IF(A6=8,O$13,""),IF(A6=9,O$14,""),IF(A6=10,O$15,""),IF(A6=11,O$16,""),IF(A6=12,O$17,""),IF(A6=13,O$18,""),IF(A6=14,O$19,""),IF(A6=15,O$20,""),IF(A6=16,O$21,""),IF(A6=17,O$22,""))+0

Column "O" which, as you can see, is delivering the "TRUE" results of the IF functions is just a table of values.
Basically, it's saying, "If the zone number is 'x', then the footage is 'y'" and so forth.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ajax40

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back