Sum Short Time Field

jeannier1975

Good Day,
I have a query where i need to total the Labor hours
I have a field label ActualLabor hours and i want to take the total of that field of all the workorders and sum it.How would I go about it.

I have started the SQL Query
where for the time field TotalSeconds: (Sum(DatePart("h",[ActualLaborHours])*3600+DatePart("n",[ActualLaborHours])*60))
and the other field:
TotalTime: Round([TotalSeconds]/3600,0) & ':' & Right("00" & Round(((TotalSeconds/3600)-Round(TotalSeconds/3600,0))*60,0),2)

when i run the query i get an error stating [FONT=&quot]This expression is typed incorectly or is too complexed to be evualated does anyone know how i can do a query that adds hours.

Code:
[/FONT][/COLOR]SELECT (Sum(DatePart("h",[ActualLaborHours])*3600+DatePart("n",[ActualLaborHours])*60)) AS TotalSeconds, Round([TotalSeconds]/3600,0) & ':' & Right("00" & Round(((TotalSeconds/3600)-Round(TotalSeconds/3600,0))*60,0),2) AS TotalTimeFROM [Maximo Report]
WHERE ((([Maximo Report].WorkType)="CM" Or ([Maximo Report].WorkType)="EM" Or ([Maximo Report].WorkType)="MMNRO" Or ([Maximo Report].WorkType)="MMROI" Or ([Maximo Report].WorkType)="PMCM" Or ([Maximo Report].WorkType)="PMINS" Or ([Maximo Report].WorkType)="PMOR" Or ([Maximo Report].WorkType)="PMPDM" Or ([Maximo Report].WorkType)="PMREG" Or ([Maximo Report].WorkType)="PMRT") AND (([Maximo Report].ActualStartDate)>=DateAdd("h",-1,[Enter the Start Date]) And ([Maximo Report].ActualStartDate)<DateAdd("h",23,[Enter the End Date])));

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=&quot]/CODE][/FONT][/COLOR]

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Suggest you break it into manageable chunks and move on when you successfully perform a calculation. While doing so, eliminate Sum functions if you're simply going to add 2 values such as in TotalSeconds:DatePart("h",[ActualLaborHours])*3600 + DatePart("n",[ActualLaborHours])*60. Also, you are trying to add text ( : ) to numbers but you cannot. You would at least have to use Format function on the number parts, or perhaps better, a type conversion function such as CStr to convert numbers to text and concatenate (not add) the parts together. Also, I dont get this: TotalSeconds/3600)-Round(TotalSeconds/3600,0) Looks to me like you're dividing a number by 3600 and subtracting from that the same number divided by 3600, both of which ought to be rounded to zero decimal places since you specify 0 in one but default to 0 in the other. I don't see how that can be anything but zero, in which case, the outer round to 2 decimal places should amount to zero.

It really isn't clear what you're trying to do anyway. ActualLaborHours sounds like a number, yet you're using a date function on it. What may not be apparent to you is that date/time is stored as a year/month/day/hour/minute/second value. If the time portion isn't specified, it defaults to midnight, but regardless, what's underlying that is still a double precision floating point number. What makes it appear as a date is the format. So to get the hour portion of a date is to get, for example, 9 for 9 o'clock. Not sure how that translates into labor hours. So even if you fix the complexity of the expressions and get them to return a result, I can't imagine it will be useful.

Then there is the notion that perhaps you are trying to get the sum of hours worked over a set of records, in which case your calculations should be performed vertically (over one field in a set of records) and not horizontally. To do that would require domain functions (e.g. DSum) or first building a useful Totals query. Again, doing so over date values and calling those numbers 'hours worked' doesn't make sense to me.

Upvote 0
What is the data type of actual labor hours? Do you have sample data? Normally that should be a simple as Sum([ActualLaborHours]).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Postman24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back