Sum Time

EOAEvan

I searched through many threads about time conversions / adding time etc and didnt seem to find anything that worked..

I have a report given to me formatted as general. These are overtime hours for 5000+ associates. The time is shown as 4.52 being 4 hours and 52 minutes.

If I sum 4.52, 5.1, .18... I get 9.8 when in fact it is 10hrs 20m. I need this to display as 10.2

I know this should be simple. In fact I have done it in the past but lets just say im ready for the weekend... Thank you in advance for your help!

I may be able to use a helper column to make this work... If i use a sumif in one column then use =--TEXT(SUMPRODUCT(0+SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(B11,"0.00"),".",":")),"[h].mm") to convert it... It seems to work.

I would still prefer to have it all done in a single cell if possible but can use this method if needed.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Thanks for the response Barry.. I am getting a #N/A using that formula when a manual check shows the correct answer should be 3.14... ideas?

Are you using exactly the fomula I suggested? As far as I can tell it should work OK unless perhaps you have #N/As in column J. If so try changing to the following:

=--TEXT(SUMPRODUCT(0+SUBSTITUTE(TEXT('[Account Lookup Table.xls]Paste Accounts from BTR Here'!$N$5:$N$6000,"0.00"),".",":"),--ISNUMBER(MATCH('[Account Lookup Table.xls]Paste Accounts from BTR Here'!$J$5:$J$6000,A11,0))),"[h].mm")

Upvote 0
Ok, getting an error and not sure why.. This is on something else but using a formula provided earlier in this post...

Why does converting 144.84 using this =--TEXT(SUMPRODUCT(0+SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(C27,"0.00"),".",":")),"[h].mm") give me a #VALUE! error? It has worked on every other application so far.

Upvote 0
Though it works correctly on 18.86.. returning 19.26

im thinking it has to do with the hours.. as it only happens on the ones that are 100+ hrs

Upvote 0
Now I've learnt something new, I didn't think it would recognise any of those but it seems Excel's quite happy to convert 18:86 to 19:26 but the cutoff appears to be 24 hours so 24.86 will cause an error.

You can use the following to accommodate those sorts of values....

For a single value you wouldn't need such a complex formula, e.g. to convert C27 you can use

=C27+(MOD(C27,1)>=0.6)*0.4

or for a range like A1:A10

=TEXT(SUMPRODUCT(SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(A1:A10+(MOD(A1:A10,1)>=0.6)*0.4,"0.00"),".",":")+0),"[h].mm")+0

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back