Sum values based on a cell with commas

haddy

Hi All,

I've had a browse and i can't seem to find this example. I've found examples of codes summing the numbers within the cell but nothing that i can find relating to finding the numbers within the cell seperated by either commas, slashes, etc - linking them back to a table or a list and summing numbers attached.

Basically;
Find all numbers in D2 (A1, A4, A5)
Sum relevant numbers in E2 (B2, B4, B5)

ABCDE
1100Total

<tbody>
</tbody>

Unfortunately i've got a very limited VBA understanding, and i hope I've made it easy to understand where I'm getting at

Haddy

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
For the second part, summing a group of values in 1 cell, I posted a solution in topic http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/858358-sum-values-based-cell-commas.html#post4171839:

Adjusted for your requirements, enter in E2 the following array formula (confirm with CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER, not just ENTER):
Code:
=AVERAGE(IFERROR(1*MID($D2,(MID(","&$D2,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&1+LEN($D2))),1)=",")*ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&1+LEN($D2))),IFERROR(FIND(",",RIGHT($D2,1+LEN($D2)-ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&1+LEN($D2)))))-1,LEN($D2))),""))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For the second part, summing a group of values in 1 cell, I posted a solution in topic http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/858358-sum-values-based-cell-commas.html#post4171839:

Adjusted for your requirements, enter in E2 the following array formula (confirm with CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER, not just ENTER):
Code:
=AVERAGE(IFERROR(1*MID($D2,(MID(","&$D2,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&1+LEN($D2))),1)=",")*ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&1+LEN($D2))),IFERROR(FIND(",",RIGHT($D2,1+LEN($D2)-ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&1+LEN($D2)))))-1,LEN($D2))),""))

Sorry Marcel I'm not following - it's coming up with the number '2'. I'd like it to find the numbers in D2 (2,4,5) which are situated in cells A2,A4,A5 - but sum those numbers which correspond with those found (B2,B4,B5 = 60)

Let me know if i'm doing it wrong

Edit; I understand the output of that formula - but I don't think it solves the initial question. As mentioned I've found threads which cover this, but my question has an addition

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apologies, I thought it was about summing the values in D2. I'll take another look.

Upvote 0
The following array formula in E2 will do the trick, provided values in A1:A5 are sorted in ascending order.
Confirm the formula with CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER, not just enter.
Code:
=SUM(IFERROR(LOOKUP(MATCH(1*MID($D2,(MID(","&$D2,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&1+LEN($D2))),1)=",")*ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&1+LEN($D2))),IFERROR(FIND(",",RIGHT($D2,1+LEN($D2)-ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&1+LEN($D2)))))-1,LEN($D2))),$A$1:$A$5,0),$A$1:$A$5,$B$1:$B$5),0))
Remark: the sum of values in B2, B4 and B5 is 70, not 60.

Upvote 0
Row\Col
A​
B​
C​
D​
E​
1​
1​
100​
Total
2​
2​
30​
70​
3​
3​
20​
4​
4​
15​
5​
5​
25​

<tbody>
</tbody>

E2, control+shift+enter, not just enter:
Rich (BB code):

=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(","&A1:A5&",",","&D2&",")),B1:B5))

Upvote 0
Non array solution :

=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF($A$1:$A$5,TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(D2,"."," "))&" "," ",REPT(" ",99)),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(D2,"."," "))&" ")-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(D2,"."," "))&" "," ",""))))*99-99+1,99)),B1:B5))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksjohnson1970

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back