SUMIF formula for Criteria that is a range

jlyn123

Is there a good sumif formula or a different formula that would be good to use for a range of criteria and the criteria is all different but specific to what totals I what pulled out of a larger listing?

Thanks!

solidENM

Board Regular
Are you wanting to sum different categories, all at once? if so, you can use a helper column to determine which category each one falls in, tally them up, then show the sums of each category.

Scott Huish

MrExcel MVP
You mean like this?

<b>Excel 2010</b><table cellpadding="2.5px" rules="all" style=";background-color: rgb(255,255,255);border: 1px solid;border-collapse: collapse; border-color: rgb(187,187,187)"><colgroup><col width="25px" style="background-color: rgb(218,231,245)" /><col /><col /><col /><col /><col /><col /><col /></colgroup><thead><tr style=" background-color: rgb(218,231,245);text-align: center;color: rgb(22,17,32)"><th></th><th>A</th><th>B</th><th>C</th><th>D</th><th>E</th><th>F</th><th>G</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">1</td><td style=";">A</td><td style="text-align: right;;">9</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;">27</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style=";">A</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">2</td><td style=";">B</td><td style="text-align: right;;">1</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style=";">B</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">3</td><td style=";">C</td><td style="text-align: right;;">7</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">4</td><td style=";">D</td><td style="text-align: right;;">1</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">5</td><td style=";">E</td><td style="text-align: right;;">11</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">6</td><td style=";">F</td><td style="text-align: right;;">6</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">7</td><td style=";">A</td><td style="text-align: right;;">12</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">8</td><td style=";">B</td><td style="text-align: right;;">5</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td></tr></tbody></table><p style="width:3.6em;font-weight:bold;margin:0;padding:0.2em 0.6em 0.2em 0.5em;border: 1px solid rgb(187,187,187);border-top:none;text-align: center;background-color: rgb(218,231,245);color: rgb(22,17,32)">Sheet1</p><br /><br /><table width="85%" cellpadding="2.5px" rules="all" style=";border: 2px solid black;border-collapse:collapse;padding: 0.4em;background-color: rgb(255,255,255)" ><tr><td style="padding:6px" ><b>Array Formulas</b><table cellpadding="2.5px" width="100%" rules="all" style="border: 1px solid;text-align:center;background-color: rgb(255,255,255);border-collapse: collapse; border-color: rgb(187,187,187)"><thead><tr style=" background-color: rgb(218,231,245);color: rgb(22,17,32)"><th width="10px">Cell</th><th style="text-align:left;padding-left:5px;">Formula</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr><th width="10px" style=" background-color: rgb(218,231,245);color: rgb(22,17,32)">E1</th><td style="text-align:left">{=SUM(<font color="Blue">SUMIF(<font color="Red">A1:B8,G1:G2,B1:B8</font>)</font>)}</td></tr></tbody></table><b>Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter.</b> If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
<b>Note: Do not try and enter the {} manually yourself</b></td></tr></table><br />

solidENM

Board Regular
looks like you got it. I use a similar code in vba to tally all like items, then remove all duplicates. the result is a total of each unique item. One advantage of doing this through vba is you can use an obscure column to get the info, then delete the column afterwards. I use mine to update all A's with 21, and all B's with 6, then i remove all duplicate A's and B's = tally of each item. I can lookup the code tomorrow if you like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmed elsaid

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• Problem with Radio Button's format control
    I am creating an employee evaluation template (a sample is below) Column A is the category Column B, C D, E and F will be ratings (unacceptable...
  • Last Display on userform to a Listbox
    [CODE=vba] lstdisplay.ColumnCount = 15 lstdisplay.RowSource = "A1:O600000" [/CODE] So when i do this it Displays everything on the sheet i am...
  • Rename and move files to a new location
    Dear all, I have an excel file with the following information. The actual file name is at column A but i want to rename it using the following...
  • Help with True/False Formula
    Hello! Am stumped how to fix this formula, in which my result returns 'True', but it should return False. =IF(AG2=True...
  • Clear extra characters from a provided range of cells
    Dear All, I have following code which gives me desired output to remove extra characters from a provided range. But it takes too much time when...
  • Help with Current and highest streaks
    Hi there, I've just joined the forum and this is my first post. I've already spent quite a bit of time searching the net and this forum for a...