SUMIF INDIRECT with dynamic Sum Range

larsil

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, I am trying to change the Sum Range B:B dynamically, since the Sum Range on each worksheet (REGION) starts from column B to Z. So I am expecting when copying this formula across the columns the Sum Range B:B will change automatically to C:C and D:D etc. Using the initial formula, will not change the Sum Range of B:B. Please advise.

=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&REGIONS&"'!$A:$A"),$A12,INDIRECT("'"&REGIONS&"'!B:B")))

To:
=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&REGIONS&"'!$A:$A"),$A12,INDIRECT("'"&REGIONS&"'!C:C")))

=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&REGIONS&"'!$A:$A"),$A12,INDIRECT("'"&REGIONS&"'!D:D")))

Thanks,

L.A.

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Because of the way that the formula is made up, the column references are text strings, not actual references. Because of this, all references are absolute regardless of the use or omission of the $ symbols.

The easiest way to create relative references with INDIRECT is by using R1C1 notation (if you understand it). To write your formula in R1C1 notation, you need to work out the number of columns between the cell that the formula is in and the column that you want to look at (even though it you're looking at other sheets, do it as if it was the same sheet).

So if your formula for column B is going into B2, then there would be a 0 column difference, if it is going into A2 then there would be a 1 column difference (B:B is 1 column right of A1), if the formula is going into C2 then it will be a -1 column difference (B:B is 1 column left of C1, when going left you need to use negative numbers).

To translate this into a formula, you would need something like.

=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&REGIONS&"'!$A:$A"),$A12,INDIRECT("'"&REGIONS&"'!C[0]:C[0]",0)))

C refers to a column offset, the [number] enclosed in square brackets is the number of columns as described above.
The additional ,0 after the closing double quotes tells the INDIRECT function that you're using R1C1 notation. Once you have set the first column, the rest will adjust as expected when you drag it right. (The formula will not change, but the relative position will).

More info can be found by searching for R1C1.

Upvote 0
Because of the way that the formula is made up, the column references are text strings, not actual references. ...

A better solution than my kludgy one...

Larsil.xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZAA
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C1:AA1C1=B:B
B12:L12B12=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&REGIONS&"'!$A:$A"),$A12,INDIRECT("'"&REGIONS&"'!"&RIGHT(FORMULATEXT(C$1),3))))
Named Ranges
NameRefers ToCells
REGIONS=Sheet2!$A$1B12:L12

Upvote 0
Another way that should work

=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&REGIONS&"'!$A:$A"),$A12,OFFSET(INDIRECT("'"&REGIONS&"'!B:B"),,COLUMNS($A:A))))

Upvote 0
Another way that should work

=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&REGIONS&"'!$A:$A"),$A12,OFFSET(INDIRECT("'"&REGIONS&"'!B:B"),,COLUMNS($A:A))))
Thanks Jason, I think I can follow this formula, I have tried it but it does not work. I guess the sum_range for this formula is INDIRECT("'"&REGIONS&"'!B:B"), but when copying this formula to another column "B:B" will not change to "C:C". So I still manually change this range. Please advise. Thanks. L.A.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Sorry, it should have actually been

=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&REGIONS&"'!$A:$A"),$A12,OFFSET(INDIRECT("'"&REGIONS&"'!B:B"),,COLUMNS($A:A)-1)))

It will always say B:B in the formula, OFFSET and COLUMNS calculate the position as you drag right by changing from COLUMNS($A:A)-1 to COLUMNS($A:B)-1, COLUMNS($A:C)-1, etc which moves the position of the formula without changing B:B.

Upvote 0
Thanks Everyone for your contribution, I have got the solution already, advised by Toadstool. I really appreciate it!. many thanks!

Upvote 0
I have got the solution already, advised by Toadstool.
To be fair, Toadstool did say it was a bit kludgy.

If you want an answer, take the first one that works, if you want a solution then you need to persevere with all suggestions provided. Only then will you learn how to use excel properly.

Upvote 0
Hi Jason, for sure I will try to find out how R1C1 works, as I have never used it before, but thanks for your inputs as well though. I really appreciate it. Best.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocketslinger

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back