SUMIF or COUNTIF???

johnb1979

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all,

I'm hoping this is a simple one for one of you Excel wizards!!

I would like to add the value of a cell in a given column when 2 different criteria are met in adjacent cells in adjacent columns.

For example, if a cell in column A reads a £ value, and a cell in column B reads 'won', and a cell in column C reads 'JANUARY', I'd like D1 to show the total £'s of all cells in column A that meet this criteria.

I need to use the same formula for each month of the year.

Hope this is clear and an easy one for you to answer.

Thank you in advance!!!!

OK, thank you. I'll try and work through it - I'm a bit of a novice as you can guess and am struggling with this one.

Thanks anyway

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Have you tried what StuLux suggested?

Upvote 0
I've tried it but I don't think I explained myself very well in the first instance so his suggestion may well work, but I've got to try and understand the formula first before I can apply it to my workbook.

I'm starting it again from scratch and will see if I can apply it then - as I say, my excel knowledge is fairly basic so maybe it's my form that needs redesigning.

Thanks anyway

Upvote 0
Hi again,

Sorry to be a pain but I really need help with this. If you could help it'd be much appreciated.

I started my workbook again. I have a 'criteria' tab (please see the 1st image below), a '2020 Overview' tab (2nd image), followed by the month tabs on the 3rd image (I've only created 'Jan 2020' & 'Feb 2020' for now till I get it working).

Using the formula suggestion from StuLux, I've come up with the following formula but I don't know why it's returning an error. Just so you know, I created a named range for the tab names called 'Tab_Name' (only includes 'Jan 2020' & 'Feb 2020' from the list on the criteria tab for now).

=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIFS(INDIRECT("'"&Tab_Name&"'!D:D"),INDIRECT("'"&Tab_Name&"'!I:I"),"January",INDIRECT("'"&Tab_Name&"'!H:H"),"Won"))

If I can crack this then I'll have cracked the whole form.

Thanks for your help - if you need any further clarifications then please just let me know.

Image 1
1594738598025.png

Image 2
1594738638485.png

Image 3
1594738677750.png

Upvote 0
The #Ref error indicates that one of the sheet names is wrong, or that you have blank cells in the named range.

Upvote 0
You beauty!! That's got it working, thanks so much!!!

I've just got the rest of the form to complete now - wish me luck!

Upvote 0
Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback.

However I would recommend limiting the ranges. Using whole column references in an array formulae is a bad idea.

Upvote 0
OK, thank you. I don't think my knowledge will stretch as far as understanding why it's a bad idea but I'll keep an eye on the form in case it does anything funny.

Thanks again, this has been a great help!

Upvote 0
It will hog resources & can slow your workbook down.

Upvote 0
Ah, OK thank you. I'll keep my eye out for that, then at least I'll understand the reason for it if it happens.

Thanks again

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back