Sumif / Sumproduct / Array

thorpyuk

Which formula is the most efficient? I need to put quite a lot of them into a spreadsheet :s

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
SUMIF if you don't have more than 1 criteria.

How many and what are the calulcations you intend to do ?

You may find there are efficient work arounds you can do creating Unique references (concatenated) which will allow you to use a SUMIF rather than having to use SUMPRODUCT.

Upvote 0
Depends what you are doing... SUMPRODUCTS are handy when you have mulitple criteria summations / counts to perform. SUMIF / COUNTIF recalculate quicker than SUMPRODUCT in my experience. I only use array formula when I absolutely have to - they really do seem to slow my models down...

Perhaps someone can suggest which is the most effiocient formula to use if you describe what you are doing in a little more detail.

Upvote 0
As mentioned, if there is only one criteria, SUMIF/COUNTIF will beat SUMPRODUCT hands down for speed. These functions are optimised under the sheets to test a criteria over an array, SUMPRODUCT uses the array approach, testing them one at a time.

You can also simualte multiple conditions if they are simple using say COUNTIF. For instance, this SP formula

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A200>=--"2008-01-01"),--(A2:A200<--"2008-02-01"))

can be achieved with

=COUNTIF(A2:A200,">=01/01/2008")-COUNTIF(A2:A200,">=01/02/2008")

and the latter is still quicker

Upvote 0
Which formula is the most efficient? I need to put quite a lot of them into a spreadsheet :s

When there is just one condition to evaluate, a formula with SumIf is almost always more appropriate to invoke.

An array/matrix formula with If for conditional calculations is more general for it can be combined Sum, Max, Min, StDev, Median, Average, etc.

A SumProduct formula for (straight) multi-conditional counting and summing often slightly more efficient than an equivalent Sum/If formula, if set up appropriately.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Postman24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back