SUMIF using Worksheet Tab Names

Mobius Loop

Hello -

Can anyone help with the following:

I have a workbook which may contain any number of worksheets, but each worksheet is identical. For my example, Options 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5. Each worksheet has various data (values) in say cells A10:A20, which I need to add together based on user defined "scenarios," which could be any combination of the worksheets. For example, I may need to combine Options 1, 3 & 5 together, or Options 1 & 4, or all five Options, etc ...). However, generally, I don't need to combine more than 5 options. Per below, in the summary sheet, my hope is the user could type the "desired tab name" in Cells A1:A5, and use a 3D sum to select the correct worksheets and return the values. Any ideas?

a1 = Option1
a2 = Option3
a3 = Option5
a4 = Blank
a5 = Blank

a10 = sum(Option1!a10,Option3!a10,Option5!a10). However, if any of the cell a1:a5 were added, subtracted or changed, this formula would atomically adjust.

Many Thanks!

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Interesting idea and the UI that I would use is somewhat different...and IMO user friendlier...

Suppose the cells of interest are C3:E6 on worksheets Sheet2 and Sheet3.

Suppose you want the summary data on Sheet1.

Then, on Sheet1, create 2 checkboxes (Developer tab | Controls group | Insert dropdown > Forms Control section | Checkbox)
Change the display names on the 2 checkboxes to Sheet2 and Sheet3.
Connect the 2 checkboxes to cells B3 and B4 respectively (right click each checkbox, select Format Control... | in resulting dialog box select Control tab | specify the appropriate Cell link).
Align the 2 checkboxes so that one overlays A3 the other A4.

Now, in C3:E6 array enter the formula =B3*Sheet2!C3:E6+B4*Sheet3!C3:E6

To array enter a formula complete data entry with the CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER key combination rather than just the ENTER or TAB key. If done correctly, *Excel* will show the formula enclosed in curly brackets { and }

Check (or uncheck) each checkbox and watch the result change.

Quite flexible and easily extended to any number of sheets.
Hello -

Can anyone help with the following:

I have a workbook which may contain any number of worksheets, but each worksheet is identical. For my example, Options 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5. Each worksheet has various data (values) in say cells A10:A20, which I need to add together based on user defined "scenarios," which could be any combination of the worksheets. For example, I may need to combine Options 1, 3 & 5 together, or Options 1 & 4, or all five Options, etc ...). However, generally, I don't need to combine more than 5 options. Per below, in the summary sheet, my hope is the user could type the "desired tab name" in Cells A1:A5, and use a 3D sum to select the correct worksheets and return the values. Any ideas?

a1 = Option1
a2 = Option3
a3 = Option5
a4 = Blank
a5 = Blank

a10 = sum(Option1!a10,Option3!a10,Option5!a10). However, if any of the cell a1:a5 were added, subtracted or changed, this formula would atomically adjust.

Many Thanks!

Upvote 0
How about:

=SUM(IFERROR(INDIRECT(A1&"!A10",TRUE),0),IFERROR(INDIRECT(A2&"!A10",TRUE),0),IFERROR(INDIRECT(A3&"!A10",TRUE),0),IFERROR(INDIRECT(A4&"!A10",TRUE),0),IFERROR(INDIRECT(A5&"!A10",TRUE),0))

Regards

Murray

Upvote 0
Thanks so much. I had not considered the checkbox as a solution and love the simplicity. However, it has caused a couple of issues:

1) Other than recording a macro, is there any way to automatically add a checkbox when or if a worksheet is added?
2) The number and names of the worksheet tabs will vary from workbook to workbook. Is there a way to have the name of the checkbox automatically update when the worksheet name is changed?

Again, many thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back