SUMIF

Nanaia

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
How do you write the formula to sum the row if the cell contains a specific letter then sum the number beside it? I would sum each row independently. If I need to I can have the letters put before the numbers or put a space between them. I'm stuck on how to put the formula together. I can get it to total the numbers but it looks at all numbers regardless of the letter designation by using [ =SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(LEFT(B11:Z11,1)+0),LEFT(B11:Z11,1)+0)) ]. How do I get it to also look at the letter and only count the numbers next to the letters I designate?

If it helps, this is for tracking vacation, sick days and other HR related days missed. They want one calendar that contains all info. Names are in column A and days are column headers with a column at the end of the month that totals how many of each there are.

In the following example it would show that there the sum of the cells with S in them is 16.
Example:
4EU8S8F5F8V8S

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
This sums the S cells, and must be entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter instead of Enter:

=SUM(IF(NOT(ISERROR(SEARCH("S",A1:I1))),VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(A1:I1,"S","")),""))

Upvote 0
This sums the S cells, and must be entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter instead of Enter:

=SUM(IF(NOT(ISERROR(SEARCH("S",A1:I1))),VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(A1:I1,"S","")),""))
Found this thread yesterday. Nanaia and I have the same problem. Thank you Nanaia for posting.

I inherited a spread sheet to track vacation, sick and family emergency days. I am trying to put some consistency into the spread sheet. I have most of the formulas I need in place, all I have left is to sum the various days they take off. I have tried the array you suggested and I can't get it to work. When I open up the formula, I can see it is picking up the number value for "S" but it is getting hung up on the section starting with Value. It is something simple but I can't see it.

1595595906816.png
this is what I wrote.
1595596337835.png
This is the section of the worksheet it is looking at.
1595595794262.png
This is what I am seeing when I open it up. I haven't had to do anything like this for a very long time. I am hoping you can help. Thank you. Robin

Upvote 0
The problem is that some of your cells do not have a number before the S.

Upvote 0
The problem is that some of your cells do not have a number before the S.
Thanks for your quick response. The cells with just the "S" represented full days. I have changed them Sick but still no luck. im stumped.

Upvote 0
To use that formula you will need to put a number into the cell along the the S.
If you do not want to do that, I would suggest you start a thread of your own, explaining what you want & include some sample data using the XL2BB add-in.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreeCricketId

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back