Sumifs Column Selection based on Aother Cell's Value

stew1988

This is my first post and I’m aware it’s a bit of a long one. Sorry!

I'm looking to use a sumifs formula (which I have working on a single column) over a range. I've searched extensively online, but can't seem to find a way to do what I want to do - maybe a search terms thing?!?!?

I have an output from a planning system that gives me forecast manhours for multiple projects and departments. Column ‘A’ holds the project code, column ‘B’ holds the department code, row 1 holds the week ending date and the data in the table holds the hours that are forecast to be spent that week against a given project within each department.
15f38zp.jpg

I then have a table that I need to populate to allow me to produce a couple of charts for a weekly management meeting. Under each week, there’s a forecast and an actual value. The actual hours are provided from a 3rd party, so I’m not concerned with populating this at the moment.
30iygeu.png

I have a sumifs formula set up at the moment that does work, but as the data period moves on it needs to be manually updated, because it references a particular column. Current formula for cell C3 and E3 are as follows:
=SUMIFS('Data'!C:C,'Data'!$A:$A,$B3,'Data'!B:B,$B$1)
=SUMIFS('Data'!D:D,'Data'!$A:$A,$B3,'Data'!B:B,$B$1)
So basically, sum the manhours for weekending 26-Oct-14 / 02-Oct-14 if project = 1 and department = 110.

I’d like to automate the process of determining which column to apply the sumifs formula to so that when week 1 of the table becomes 02-Nov-14 I don’t have to update all of the formulas manually. In other words, I would like the formula to look at cell C1, then match that date to row 1 of the Data tab and find which column to sum.

Thanks!!

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
There's a couple ways to do that, here's one:

=SUMIFS(OFFSET($J$4:$J$9,,MATCH(K$16,$J$3:$N$3,0)-1),$I$4:$I$9,$J17)

Where:
J4:J9 is your first column of weekly raw data numbers

K16 is the reporting week you are interested in

J3:N3 is your row of date headers in your raw data

Then I4:I9 and J17 are just my simulated criteria for the rest of the sumif, replace with yours

Upvote 0
Hi,

This is another way:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Data!$A$2:$A$17=$B3)*--(Data!$B$2:$B$17=$B$1)*INDEX(Data!$C$2:$H$17,,MATCH(C$1,Data!$C$1:$H$1,0)))

Upvote 0
Thanks to you both. Really appreciate it. I’ve gone with:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Data!$A$2:$A$17=$B3)*--(Data!$B$2:$B$17=$B$1)*INDEX(Data!$C$2:$H$17,,MATCH(C$1,Data!$C$1:$H$1,0)))

Works really well and saved me a lot of grief!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back