SUMIFS Does Not Work With Blank Cells

masouder

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to use SUMIFS to add amounts where the user can optionally enter filtering criteria for multiple columns and where some cells in filtered columns may be blank. The problem is that the total does not include rows where a criteria column is blank when no filtering criteria is entered. I have searched for a solution and implemented one that works in all cases except where no criteria is entered.

For example, the following scenario works: Joe has been entered as criteria for the Person column, nothing has been entered for the Region column and the SUMIFS function (highlighted) returns 8. This includes the two rows where Joe is the Person, regardless of what is in the Region column.

Book1
BCD
3Region8
4PersonJoe
7RegionPersonAmount
8West1
9EastMary2
10WestJoe3
11EastMary4
12Joe5
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D3D3=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIFS(D8:D12,B8:B12,IF(LEN(C3)=0,{"*",""},C3),C8:C12,IF(LEN(C4)=0,{"*",""},C4)))

Similarly, if I enter West as the Region and leave Person blank then SUMIFS returns 4, which is also correct.

The problem occurs when I leave both Region and Person blank: SUMIFS returns 9, ignoring rows where Region or Person is blank. It should return 15. Any ideas how to make this work when all criteria are blank?

Book1
BCD
3Region9
4Person
7RegionPersonAmount
8West1
9EastMary2
10WestJoe3
11EastMary4
12Joe5
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D3D3=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIFS(D8:D12,B8:B12,IF(LEN(C3)=0,{"*",""},C3),C8:C12,IF(LEN(C4)=0,{"*",""},C4)))

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Any ideas how to make this work when all criteria are blank?
You just need to change the comma in the second array to a semicolon and it will work fine.
Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIFS(D8:D12,B8:B12,IF(LEN(C3)=0,{"*",""},C3),C8:C12,IF(LEN(C4)=0,{"*";""},C4)))

Or you could just check for cells that are <>| (or any character that will never appear in the criteria range) which eliminates the need for checking both empty and not empty.
Excel Formula:
=SUMIFS(D8:D12,B8:B12,IF(C3="","<>|",C3),C8:C12,IF(C4="","<>|",C4))

Upvote 0
Solution
Both options work, thank you. A couple of questions:
  • Can you explain what it is about the semicolon versus the comma that makes it work?
  • What if there is a third criteria column to consider? Do we use a semicolon for all criteria except the first?

Upvote 0
Can you explain what it is about the semicolon versus the comma that makes it work?
Commas create a horizontal array, semicolons create a vertical array.
If you have 2 arrays with the same orientation then the formula sees 2 pairs of parallel criteria (first element in each array is one pair, second element in each array is another pair).
If you have opposite orientation then it sees 4 pairs in the form of a matrix (meaning that it also pairs the first element of each array to the second in the other) i.e. it uses all possible combinations. If you had 3 elements in each array that would give 9 combinations, 4 elements would give 16 and so on.

What if there is a third criteria column to consider? Do we use a semicolon for all criteria except the first?
You can only use 2 arrays like this. Any more criteria either need to be single values (not arrays) or for more than 2 arrays different methods need to be used. Something similar to @Eric W's suggestion would be a starting point, although the most efficient method may vary depending on exact requirements.

Upvote 0
Right, with my formula you can add as many conditions/columns as you want. If you have the same basic layout, you can even update it so you don't need to add conditions, just use a MMULT and all you need to do is change the ranges. But honestly, that leads to a complicated formula. If you can make my formula work, great. If you have additional requirements, it would probably be better to post your actual situation and we can review it. As Jason said, many times we can look at the specifics of your sheet and come up with something targeted for it.

Upvote 0
Thank you both for the detailed replies. Actually, I like the solution what includes the "<>|" criteria best. It is simple and works with just the SUMIFS function. I tested it with a third criteria column and it worked perfectly. I still have to dissect Eric's approach to understand it, but that one looks very clean as well.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back