SUMIFS Formula for: Cells Containing Mixed Numbers with Letters and Cells Containing Just Numbers - That Begin with a Number?

MEUserII

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
  3. 2019
  4. 2016
  5. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to write a SUMIFS formula that will sum cells in: $A$2:$A$100, by checking values in $B$2:$B$100 that begin with a number: including cells which are just numbers (ex. 123456) AND cells which contain mixed numbers and letters (ex. 654CBA).

For example, if I want to sum cells beginning with a number in $A$2:$A$100 by checking values in $B$2:$B$100 for cells that contain just numbers - I would use the following formula:
=SUMIFS( ($A$2:$A$100), ($B$2:$B$100), (">=0") )

Another example, if I want to sum cells beginning with a number in $A$2:$A$100 by checking values in $B$2:$B$100 for cells that contain mixed numbers and letters - I would use the following formula:
=SUMIFS( ($A$2:$A$100), ($B$2:$B$100), (">=0"&"*") )

However, how would I write a single SUMIFS formula that would sum all cells $A$2:$A$100 by checking values in $B$2:$B$100 for all cells beginning with a number including: all cells containing just numbers AND all cells containing mixed numbers and letters?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Try:

=SUMPRODUCT(A2:A100,--ISNUMBER(LEFT(B2:B100)+0))
Thanks for the help.

This works for a single column of data. How would I be able to expand this to work like SUMIFS with multiple ranges and criteria (like the addition of: $C$2:$C$100, "C", $D$2:$D$100, "D" criteria).

For example, something like:
=SUMIFS($A$2:$A$100, $B$2:$B$100, --ISNUMBER(LEFT(B2:B100)+0), $C$2:$C$100, "C", $D$2:$D$100, "D")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The way you code the conditions is slightly different, but you can do anything with a SUMPRODUCT as you can with COUNTIFS or SUMIFS. The trade-off is that SUMPRODUCT is more flexible, such as using the ISNUMBER function within it that SUMIFS can't use, but you shouldn't use whole column references with SUMPRODUCT. Your example would look something like:

=SUMPRODUCT($A$2:$A$100,--ISNUMBER(LEFT($B$2:$B$100)+0),--($C$2:$C$100="C"),--($D$2:$D$100="D"))

Here's one link that describes some of the abilities of SUMPRODUCT:

https://www.ablebits.com/office-addins-blog/2016/08/24/excel-sumproduct-function-formula-examples/

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back