Summary Query too many decimal places

liveinhope

I have a table . 2 of the fields are land size area and building size area. both are defined in table view -> design view a 2 decimal places

I created a summary query with query wizard to show (summarised/grouped by ) city total, average min and max land area as expected a 4 show to 2 decimal places

I then used the query's design view to add the same 4 fields (ie total, average min and max ) for building size But all show with way too many decimal places

I also entered a couple of the "land area" fields (min and max) so that they show twice in the query .

the fields added to the query by the wizard show as 2 decimal places and those manually added to the query in design view shows a lots of decimal places

can anyone solve this ?

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Just because it shows 2 (or however many) decimals, does not mean that is what the cell contains - it just means the cell is formatted to show 2 decimals.

Try formatting the answer cell to just 2 decimals?

Upvote 0
I thought I had done that

In TABLE design view I specified # decimal places as 2 and a format of ###.00

In my summary query the fields I add to the query by the wizards are formatted with 2 decimal places but the ones I added to the summary query in the query's design view have too many decimal places,.
I even did one summary query where I showed exactly the same field twice . (first occurrence via the query wizard the 2nd manually added in design view)

the filed added by the wizard is fine but the one added manually has too many decimals as below . Is there somewhere else I can format hows cells will appear in the query
statenameMin Of landareaMinOflandarea
Alabama534.82534.8223744666
Connecticut369.26369.262704305966

<caption> counties Query1 </caption><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody><tfoot></tfoot>

Upvote 0
With your query open in design view, right click on the field you wish to format. Select properties for that field and set the number of decimal places.

Upvote 0
thanks for that - looks much better now
statenameMin Of landareaMinOflandarea
Alabama534.82534.82
Connecticut369.26369.26

<caption> counties Query1 </caption><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody><tfoot></tfoot>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back