Summary Worksheet Witchcraft

mjennaro

Hello, MrExcel community. I currently have a workbook of my consulting company's invoices to customers. Each tab has a unique invoice number and client and amount but all tabs utilize the same template so information on invoice number is always in cell F4 across all worksheets.

That said, I would like to create a summary tab that aggregates specific fields from each worksheet. My vision for the summary tab would be as follows:

Invoice NoInvoice DateAmountControl NoStatus
TEMPLATE=today()
105212/21/2013$5,583283Paid
105301/15/2014$6,784295Paid
105402/01/2014$5,583300Unpaid
105502/15/2014$4,000311Unpaid
105603/01/2014$1,250318Unpaid

<tbody>
</tbody>

With

Invoice No. being the name of the new tab as defined by me in the worksheet name field at the bottom of the tab;
Date being the date that exists within a cell in each tab (generated by using the "=today()" function
Amount being the sum of charges that exist within a cell on each tab (as generated by the "=sum()" function
Control Number being the control number I manually input to a cell in each tab
Status being a status I manually input to a cell in each tab

Again, all of these 5 fields have the same locations from one tab to another. I am just duplicating the TEMPLATE tab and then renaming the duplicate with the previous invoice number plus one.

The trick however, is that I want the "..." row above to have information updated automatically whenever I duplicate the template. In this case, the bottom cell would be TEMPLATE (2) until I rename the tab. TEMPLATE row will always look like that because the =today() formula will always display today's date but all other fields will remain empty in the summary because they are empty in the TEMPLATE tab.

In terms of process, when I create the tab for invoice 1057, the last Invoice No. cell in the bottom of the table above should automatically display TEMPLATE (2) until I change the name of the tab to 1057. I had a colleague at a former job that had a spreadsheet summary tab that would auto-populate the information from a new tab whenever it was created. If only I had kept in touch with her...

Hope this makes sense - sometimes making a video for these would be easier.

I am using Excel 2013 and hoping to avoid VBA and Macros but can make them happen in a pinch.

Thank you.

Michael

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back