Summation Part of Erlang C Formula

tinydancer

What would be the best way to write the below summation into a formula in excel?

1626898050229.png

It is part of the Erlang C formula and I am looking to calculate it a number of times. Right now I have a table that changes based on the "A" value then I use a vlookup based on "N-1" to go grab that sum. I can't build a whole table each time for a calculation I'm looking to do well over a thousand times. Looking to see if anybody has a workaround to turn this into a formula.

Thank you

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
I have a formula for Erlang C that will work for large numbers of agents if you need it.

Upvote 0
For call intensity u (arrival rate times duration) and m agents, the probability of waiting (Erlang C) is

= 1 / (1 + (1 - u / m) * EXP(GAMMALN(m + 1) - m * LN(u) + u) * POISSON(m - 1, u, TRUE))

Very pretty, huh? Credit for the math goes to user Dap at StackExchange in this thread. He/she commented that Excel doesn't give accurate results due to the POISSON function implementation, and while that is indeed true in Excel 2003, in Excel 2010 and onward, it's fine (I didn't have Excel 2007 to check).

Please acknowledge Dap and link the thread if you use his/her formulation.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruhulaminappu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back