Summing & Averaging of absolute values vs. empty cells

Frank

I have a series of derived 'text' numbers to some formulas. Based on an answer I had received earlier, I made sure that these results became true numbers, and hence could be averaged, by using the edit/paste special feature and checking 'Add'.

So, now all zero values are counted and included in any averaging. This is fine as long as EVERY respondent to the questionnaire in question provided a response. Not always true. Given that I now have made the cell value = to a zero value, how do I EXCLUDE any cells that are empty (i.e. blank)in my averaging. By way of example, if all 10 respondents answered and there was a zero value, then that would be O.K. for the denominator on the average to be 10. But, if only 4 of 10 respondents answered and the other 6 cells are empty, I would want to average the received responses over only 4 and not 10 responses received. Is there a way I can do this?

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
yes!! post more info about your data ranges etc - details required 'cos a straightforward average() will ignore blank cell...

paddy
This message was edited by PaddyD on 2002-11-04 20:47

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back