Summing Cells Given a Range and IF Statement

hhound4

I don't know how to paste a screenshot but I will try to describe best the situation I need a formula for. This is a form that tracks company expenses.

Column "E" will have a range of numbered codes that the person submitting the form selects depending on type of expense. Let's say it code be code "96100" or "71000" or "63100".

In another column, column "B", keeps track of the cost of the expense. Cost could be anything and varies greatly.

I would like to be able to paste in a formula that adds up all the expenses that correlate to each expense code. So a total for "96100" and "71000" separately.

I have tried to do this using SUMIF function but can't seem to get it. Any help would be great. :)

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Try:

=SUMIF(E:E,96100,B:B)

Thanks Eric that works well and I'm not sure how I missed it!

Now is there a way to add an "AND" function in here? We have 3 different divisions in our company.
So I would like to determine, the expense type, the expense amount (which is handled so far) and the division.

So in another column, column "N", it will be division "CORP" or "INT" or "DOM" depending on what the user selects.

Is there a way to add that into the function? thanks again for your help!

Upvote 0
If I understand correctly, you're looking for SUMIFS (note the final S). This was added in Excel 2007.

=SUMIFS(B:B,E:E,96100,N:N,"CORP")

Also note that the Sum range has been moved to the first parameter position. That function will look down column E and N, and if on the same row the values are 96100 and "CORP" it will include the B value from that row into the total. You can of course put the type and division in a cell, maybe a drop-down, say in X1 and X2 and change it to:

=SUMIFS(B:B,E:E,X1,N:N,X2)

and you'll get a dynamic function.

Happy to help!

Upvote 0
Hi

abcFormula
Ncorp961001010
Bcorp710001010
Ncorp631001020

<colgroup><col width="64" span="4" style="width:48pt"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Try =SUMIFS($C$2:$C$9,$A$2:$A$9,A2,$B$2:$B$9,B2)

Sumifs is useful when you have more than one condition to sum up a value

Upvote 0
If I understand correctly, you're looking for SUMIFS (note the final S). This was added in Excel 2007.

=SUMIFS(B:B,E:E,96100,N:N,"CORP")

Also note that the Sum range has been moved to the first parameter position. That function will look down column E and N, and if on the same row the values are 96100 and "CORP" it will include the B value from that row into the total. You can of course put the type and division in a cell, maybe a drop-down, say in X1 and X2 and change it to:

=SUMIFS(B:B,E:E,X1,N:N,X2)

and you'll get a dynamic function.

Hi Eric,

Okay so I have the formula setup to use 4 different criteria and it has been working.

In this example below, the formula sums up column "E" if column "M" matches code "63100", column "N" matches "INT", column "O" matches "INT" and column "P" matches "-". This formula works well.

=SUMIFS(VisaReport!E7:E62,VisaReport!M7:M62,"63100",VisaReport!N7:N62,"INT",VisaReport!O7:O62,"INT",VisaReport!P7:P62,"-")

But 1 issue I need to solve. I need to also sum all amounts that are not equal to "-" in column "P". So the first 3 criteria remain the same, but I need to split column "P" into 2 different summaries. When "P" = "-" the above formula handles that total and when "P" equals anything other than "-" then the below formula will handle that (when corrected).

=SUMIFS(VisaReport!E7:E62,VisaReport!M7:M62,"63100",VisaReport!N7:N62,"INT",VisaReport!O7:O62,"INT",VisaReport!P7:P62,<>-)

Can this be achieved? Does using the "-" symbol create a problem?

Thanks again!!!! :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You're very close! These SUMIFS formulas trip up even long-time users. The way the parameters are defined is a little different from other functions. Try:

=SUMIFS(VisaReport!E7:E62,VisaReport!M7:M62,"63100",VisaReport!N7:N62,"INT",VisaReport!O7:O62,"INT",VisaReport!P7:P62,"<>-")

This version is a bit longer, but it shows a concept that is useful sometimes:

=SUMIFS(VisaReport!E7:E62,VisaReport!M7:M62,"63100",VisaReport!N7:N62,"INT",VisaReport!O7:O62,"INT") -
SUMIFS(VisaReport!E7:E62,VisaReport!M7:M62,"63100",VisaReport!N7:N62,"INT",VisaReport!O7:O62,"INT",VisaReport!P7:P62,"-")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back