Summing consecutive blocks of cells

Mr.T

Hi there, I've got a bit of an issue summing up cells in excel.

I have a data set from a solar monitor, with a value taken every half hour for one consecutive year, so 48 points per day. There are two columns, the date/time stamp and my measurement, incidently solar flux. I want to produce a summary that gives the sum of the solar flux values for each day. So in essence I need to sum up rows 1:48, then 49-96, 97-144, etc...

I've tried creating the pattern by manually selecting the cells to add for 10 days and then dragging the formula down, but it doesn't advance properly. I've also tried the SUMIF function with no luck.

Can anyone help me out. Thanks and Cheers, remember to enjoy a beer today.

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
hi - welcome to the board!

if the dates are stored as genuine dates (i.e. as numbers - a thing you can check with =isnumber(ref) for one of the dates) then this is the sort of thing that pivot tables are designed for.

select the range, go to data | pivot table...click through the obvious bits, set up the pivot layout with dates in the row & sum of values in the data area.

once on the sheet, right-click the date area, go to group & group the dates by day.

if the dates aren;t genuine, post back with examples of them & we can fix them up.

Upvote 0
Thanks Paddy, the pivot tables were just the trick. Very slick.

Out of curiosity, do you know how many data points a table can handle, my set is 17526 cells long, and I had to break it up into 4 month intervals?

Again, thanks for the reply, I'm officially a big fan of this message board.

Tom

Upvote 0
"Out of curiosity, do you know how many data points a table can handle, my set is 17526 cells long, and I had to break it up into 4 month intervals? "

review the excel help file for 'Excel specifications and limits' - unique item per field = 32,500; number of fields = limited by memory

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back