summing the visible

wwbwb

I've searched for it, but perhaps I've missed it. I have data in column e starting at e5:e46. Most of the rows are hidden because they are conditionally set that way because there is no data in one of the other columns. In e47 I have a sum of e5:e46 and it works just fine. What I am looking for is a formula that when put in e47 will sum ONLY the visible data. So if only 5 rows are showing, it only sums those 5 rows, if I unhide the rows it will sum all the rows or however many are showing.

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
If you can use a filter instead of hiding the rows there is a solution. Use =subtotal(9,E5:E46) - this will be dynamic as your filter changes and only show the total of the visible cells.

Upvote 0
wwbwb said:
I've searched for it, but perhaps I've missed it. I have data in column e starting at e5:e46. Most of the rows are hidden because they are conditionally set that way because there is no data in one of the other columns. In e47 I have a sum of e5:e46 and it works just fine. What I am looking for is a formula that when put in e47 will sum ONLY the visible data. So if only 5 rows are showing, it only sums those 5 rows, if I unhide the rows it will sum all the rows or however many are showing.

If visible/not visible is set by a certain column - say, A - being blank, couldn't you usr --

=SUMIF(A5:A46,"<>",E5:E46)

Upvote 0
It sounds like your rows are hidden because you hid them manually, not because of a filter. The subtotal formula does not work with rows hidden due to a filter. There are add-ins for this but for a VBA solution using a User Defined Function, you can also achieve your goal by placing the following UDF code in a standard module:

Function SumViz(RangeToSum As Range)
Dim Cell As Range
Application.Volatile
SumViz = 0
For Each Cell In RangeToSum
If Cell.Rows.Hidden = False And Cell.Columns.Hidden = False Then
If IsNumeric(Cell.Value) Then
SumViz = SumViz + Cell.Value
End If
End If
Next
End Function

To use the code as a formula, enter the following formula in cell E47 or wherever you want, outside of E5:E46 - -

=SumViz(E5:E46)

This will also serve you if you end up using a filter. The UDF works for both scenarios; the Subtotal only works for filtered.

Upvote 0
=SUMIF(D5:D46, "<>" & "",E5:E46)

where column D houses your criteria.

HTH

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back