Sumproduct Help

BrianM

Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong, or suggest another way to accomplish this? I want to count the number of times CRR, 2HS, etc. are in column A:A without having to text to columns in order to separate then count. D3 is the formula I'm currently working on.

Thanks

Brian
Book1
ABCD
1LocationJan. 5-9
22HS 50289Random BinsQuants
32HS 50229CRR
4SHS 408682HR
5CRR 003DSHS
6CSR 151E
7CRR 003L
82HS 70149
9SHS 30148
10SHS 40138
Sheet1

PaddyD

MrExcel MVP
just need an extra step to coerce the logicals to numerics (so that sumproduct has something to sum):
Book1
ABCD
1DataFindCount
2CRR123456CRR
3CRR789456
4CRS123456
Sheet1

BrianM

Thanks PaddyD, works fine.
Could you please explain the difference in the two formulas

Thanks

PaddyD

MrExcel MVP
given ny example above:

=SUMPRODUCT((LEFT(A2:A4,3)=C2))

evaluates to {TRUE;TRUE;FALSE}

...which is interesting, but useless for sumproduct, as sumproduct can only sum numeric values. so, we need to coerce the logicals to numerics. the basic method to do this is to perform a mathematical operation on the array, so any of:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(A2:A4,3)=C2))
=SUMPRODUCT((LEFT(A2:A4,3)=C2)*1)
=SUMPRODUCT((LEFT(A2:A4,3)=C2)+0)

would do. the -- option is preferred by some as it is more efficient (albeit marginally so). after the coersion, the array is:

{1;1;0}

...which, as a numeric array, can be fed to the sumproduct to give the answer.

BrianM

How might this formula be modified to take into account any blank cells??

Thanks,
Brian

PaddyD

MrExcel MVP
depends what you mean - under the most simle interpretation, it already does:
Book1
ABCD
1DataFindCount
2CRR123456CRR
3CRR789456
4CRS123456
6CRT123456
Sheet1

BrianM

Absolutely does. I figured out what I did wrong.

Thanks again,

Brian

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• Importing multiple excel files into one spreadsheet
    Hi, I'm trying to import multiple excel files (with the same format into a single spreadsheet) so that each day's file is listed underneath the...
  • find many based on a certain criteria
    good evening, I hope someone can help me? I have a workbook sheet 2 contains lots of data.... I would like to be able to find anything on sheet...
  • How to copy multiple rows using If
    Hi all, I'm very new to VBA and have written this simple code to copy certain cells if a certain cell within that row contains any data. I need...
  • VBA If statement
    Dear All, I have two dates, where I'd like a message box to pop, if the dates are between this criteria. [CODE] sDate1 = #10/1/2019#...
  • Text Format
    I have a sheet for user to keyin the data. The format of the data can be 451 / 1903, 0012 / 9908 or 00287 / 0099. The number after the "/" is...
  • Macro to copy values across rows and transposing them and add the user id
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Hi,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Times New...