SUMPRODUCT() in XL Table When Dragged Across Columns Loses Reference

isadoko

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am using two worksheets. The first to show the results, the second, Table13 contains my data. The formulas below are in the first worksheet and reference data in the second worksheet. The data worksheet is an XL Table.

This is my base formula: =SUMPRODUCT((Table13[d.DESCRIPTION]=$A8)*(Table13[d.CATEGORY]=$B8)*(Table13[d.ACCTDATE]=C$7)*(Table13[AMOUNT])) in columns C-N, ie, Jan-Dec.

When I drag the formula across the columns I noticed the columns referenced in the formula all shifted over one column to the right resulting in the updated and now wrong formula below.

=SUMPRODUCT((Table13[RATE]=$A8)*(Table13[ISSUANCE DATE]=$B8)*(Table13[CUSTOMER ID]=F$7)*(Table13[INVOICE_TYPE]))

Notice d.DESCRIPTION changed to RATE, d.CATEGORY changed to ISSUANCE DATE, d.ACCTDATE changed to CUSTOMER ID and AMOUNT changed to INVOICE_TYPE

I need to keep the original columns references fixed as I drag across to the right. Curiously the cell references, $A8, $B8 and C$ to F$7, in the worksheet behaved as expected.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
There are 3 common ways of copying the formula across. 2 keep the absolute cell referencing 1 doesn't.
As you have found out the one that doesn't is the drag option. Since it is the only one that treats the referencing as relative it does have its uses.
To keep the original column referencing (absolute) use either of these two methods.
  • Use Fill Right
    Select the cell with the formula, the drag to select the cells to the right or shift select.
    Hit Ctrl + R
  • Copy Paste
    Standard copy and paste.
If you formula is not inside the table as in your case, you can force it to be absolute but it seems a lot of trouble.

To force it, make each column reference into a 1 column range:-

Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT((Table13[[d.DESCRIPTION]:[d.DESCRIPTION]]=$A8)*(Table13[[d.CATEGORY]:[d.CATEGORY]]=$B8)*(Table13[[d.ACCTDATE]:[d.ACCTDATE]]=C$7)*(Table13[[AMOUNT]:[AMOUNT]]))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joaquim_Baptista

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back