SUMPRODUCT with (space) Intersection operator

jackms

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a range name that consists of non-contiguous columns.

I can use the (space) Intersection operator with functions like SUM and AVERAGE , but get #VALUE when I try it with SUMPRODUCT.

Example: if range myrange consists of A:A,C:C
1635177423212.png

=SUM(myrange 3:3)=26
But =SUMPRODUCT(myrange 3:3,myrange 6:6)=#VALUE!

Note it works fine when myrange is contiguous (e.g. if myrange would consist of A:B, then the above SUMPRODUCT formula returns 226)

What can I do for this situation?

Hi Jason

To work in Excel 2010 I had to make some adjustments to your second formula.
=SUMPRODUCT(INDEX(myrange 3:3,,,N(IF(1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&(AREAS(myrange))))))),INDEX(myrange 6:6,,,N(IF(1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&(AREAS(myrange))))))))

And confirm it with Ctrl+Shift+Enter

M.

Upvote 0
Solution

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Adding to my previous post
The formula above doesn't work with the data sample provided by Peter (post #18) because the second part of the range is contiguous (C1:D10)

M.

Upvote 0
Thanks, Marcelo. I was expecting it to be something like that. Functions that were typically array resistant in older versions of excel don't require the same brute force persuasion methods in 365 so it makes accurate testing difficult.

Upvote 0
=SUMPRODUCT(INDEX(myrange 3:3,,,N(IF(1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&(AREAS(myrange))))))),INDEX(myrange 6:6,,,N(IF(1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&(AREAS(myrange))))))))

@jasonb75 @Marcelo Branco You guys are the greatest! The formula does exactly what I need!

The formula above doesn't work with the data sample provided by Peter (post #18) because the second part of the range is contiguous (C1:D10)
I was able to tweak the formula for a case where all the columns are contiguous by adding the following to the beginning =IF(AREAS(myrange)=1,SUMPRODUCT(myrange 3:3),
but obviously that wouldn't work for a data sample like Peter's where some columns in the range are contiguous and some are not (but I at least don't have to worry about that because in my application I will never have such a scenario)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hanakoro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back