Super Hard Problem.......i think

austin350s10

This is kinda complicated and im not sure if it's an excel or VBA question but here goes!

I work at a home care company and we are redoing out client care plan form which is composed of many check boxes for tasks the caregiver needs to do in the home.

PROBLEM: I am trying to create a report that summarizes the tasks the user checked off on a separate sheet in the same workbook. I was thinking each task listed one after another in one column that auto expands based on the amount of tasks being checked.

QUESTION:Is this even possible?

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Hi
Yes, it certainly sounds feasible.
I'd suggest maybe putting your parent tasks in one column and your sub tasks in an adjacent column
They could then be sorted by the parent column to insert into the report.
It's obviously going to be more complex than that, but it might give you something to think about

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

It'd help if you posted an example of what you have now and what you want as an end result. If you PM me your e-mail address I'll send you a copy of the board's HTML maker, which will let you post a shot of your sheet.

Upvote 0
Thank you for that but I think I may have a solution. The answer is a pivot table the only confusing part is getting the check box text values into the pivot table.

I had to send the check box text values to a separate hidden sheet and use that as a reference to the pivot table.

The hidden sheet would look something like this:
A1 = task 3
A2 = ""
A3 = task 1
A4 = ""
A5 = task 2

As soon as I tell the pivot table to not show (blank) values and sort A-Z
I get exactly what im looking for.

Pivot table gives me:
A1 = task 1
A2 = task 2
A3 = task 3

Im sure there is a way to do this via VBA but I have no idea how to do that. If you think this problem could be solved with a bit of VBA code I would love to hear more. Let me know and I can provide further examples...

Thanks,

-Austin-

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jocksteriom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back