Support for Mouse Wheel and Styled Texts

PSC

Hi

First question

Does anyone know if there is a way to support Mouse Wheel in 'Microsoft Forms 2.01 controls' that can have vertical scroll-bar ... like ListBox, Textbox, etc ? (Operating system Windows 98*, Windows 2000 and later)

I'm not familiar with VB controls, do they support Mouse Wheel?

Second question

Is there a way to format ListBoxes index-based (Color, Bold style, etc...)?
Forms 2.01 seem to lack those methods, but do "any VB control" support that?

I've found a supplier here in Sweden selling "developer-packs" supporting ListBoxes with preceding thumb-nail-images index based. Even if that isn't what I need, I wonder it they really have developed that themselves or are they just based that on "a standard control" with some own functionality added.

It works like...
Thumb-nail-image1 Text1
Thumb-nail-image2 Text2
Thumb-nail-image3 Text3

This can be used for example to make a drop-down option list with flag-images to select a language, etc. With single column and few options it works well.

But, what I need, is to make static (sometimes long) option-lists that are simplier to use for the end user because of colored and/or styled texts index based. I've been working for years with a huge non-commercial application that build on Excel and Word (97 to 2003 and soon even 2007 support).

Many ListBoxes have 2 or 3 columns supporting column based sorting and normally 100 to 200 lines. One problem with thumb-nail-image lists is the small size of the image. With many sub-groups you easily get many "similar images". With unsorted lines they pop-up all over the place without really increasing the clarity. They are actually more annoying than providing any functionality - if you ask me. I can't increase the font size of the text to be able to make these images larger. That end up cutting the texts in the columns or forcing horizontal scroll that is very time consuming for the user. These images has shown to be just toys. So, I'm back on page 1 (ouch).

What I've done so far, is using ListBox of Dialog box 1 and its Dbl-click method to show Dialog box 2 with a listbox that is based on current ListBoxIndex of Dialog box 1. Double-clicking on ListBox of the Dialog box 2 show a new Dialog box with the "same functionality", and so on...

The user can sort and/or switch the sort order by right-clicking on the column they're most interested of for the moment.

It works well with "modeless" dialog boxes to "break down the total functionality to smaller pieces" but the amount of dialog boxes on screen is a problem. It soon looks like my desk at home (ouch). More is sometimes just more, not better.

Another problem is that to come back to Dialog box 1 from let say Dialog box 3 requires two "closing clicks", and getting back to Dialog box 3 from a certain index require possible scroll to find the new option in Dialog box 1 listbox, double-clicking it, and then go through the Dialog box 2 via double-click into the Dialog box 3, ... After a while you're quite annoyed by this never ending story.

There are of course many benefits with this approach. For example can every Dialog box has its own set of features. By showing them related to each other increade the fealing that they "belong to each other".

Still, to pick an option in a long list of "similar looking texts" without Mouse Wheel Support is time consuming. You have to keep the mouse cursor on those small scroll-bar arrows, and swithing the scroll direction require moving the cursor all the way between them. At the same time your eye have to move and focus in both horizontal and vertical directions to find the text you want. Without different colors and/or styles you can't even jump past the options that belong to a function-group you're not interested for the moment.

Now you can understand why I'm looking for "ListBoxes" with support for Mouse Wheel and styled-texts index based. I don't know how to build in this functionality myself.

If you have any information or ideas, please, let me know.

/PS

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ijat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back