Swapping adjecent cell values

crazypig

This is a bit of a weird one in that I don't know how I did what I did by accident, but it would be useful to know...

My spreadsheet contains a (fairly standard) set of data of Surname (col A) Forename (col B) and more info in col c, d, e etc.
I was using the keyboard to select the first 5 cells of data from one row (ie one persons surname, forename etc).
Using the keyboard I navigated to the correct row and moved far left into col A. then using a combination of shift, arrow keys, control+c and Home to copy the cells I wanted.
having fat fingers and it being late in the day I hit a number of keys as well as some of the above and not necessarily in the right order.
what I achieved was to swap the forename and surname cells of that particular row around. True, this is not at all what I wanted to do but with a few seconds of key pressing, I would love to be able to do this at other times. (like when someone enters forename surname in the surname forename cells.

***Have I discovered a keyboard shortcut for swapping cells***?
I only thought this was possible using vba or a new column and copying and pasting into that new column etc.
it would be very useful if someone could tell me how I did what I did. it would be a great shortcut.

thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Thanks everyone. I'm fairly sure it wasn't those answers what I did but they are good answers anyway. I will refer to this next time I need it. I'm sure I only used keys and no code but those are fairly quick alternatives. i'll post it if I ever figure out what I did.

thanks all.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back