System restore – what should I keep?

Lewiy

Hi guys, just after a bit of advice. I contracted a virus recently which has resulted in the need to do a full system restore. It wasn’t terminal, just that something doesn’t seem quite right with the PC so it seems like a good idea.

So, I’m now in the process of backing up my files on to DVDs. I have a lot of crap on there I don’t need so I’m just pulling out the stuff I really want. I have been through MyDocuments and got all the music, photos, important documents, etc.

Can anyone think of any other important stuff which I might want to keep hold of which wouldn’t be in MyDocuments? Obviously I’m trashing all the .exe files, so I’m thinking along the lines of favourite web page lists and stuff that I might not have considered. I’ve never had to do a full restore before so it’s a bit daunting!! :LOL:

Appreciate any guidance!

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
How about your internet bookmarks, if you use an email client such as outlook then your message/contacts.

Make a note of any extensions/updates that you have made to software, its this area that usually catches me out, my dreamweaver extensions were a so-and-so to remember after I had already restored my system without making a note of them.

Make sure that you have all of your driver updates, I have a seperate hard disk drive with my backups on, and a folder called 999, which has sub folders with my driver & software updates on them.

Lewiy,
I had a similar problem. My approach was to do a search on all my most used file extensions, including for example .jpgs.
I then copied them from there original location to a main folder named by extension, .xls, .doc, .jpg, ect.... then if I need any of them later I had them backed up. One thing to be careful of is not to move them, I did this on accident and when I wanted to make sure I had the directory backed up as insurance I realized my initial directory/file structure was no longer intact.... :(
The other idea, which I do do, is to perfrom an entire back up of the system as one further step in insurance.

Cheers

I think you'll find the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard is useful too.

It helps you migrate all your internet settings and email profiles, among other things.
If you use Outlook, backup the mail files too. They normally don't live in MyDocuments but the backup will be placed there.
Favorites folder
Some apps store their data in folders in the app's heirarchy. This includes screen capture apps like SnagIt, accountign apps like MYOB, and there may be others.
Also check what's in your Application Data folder. You'll need to go to Cmd and type %AppData% (or it may be %App Data%). That's where your mail is stored if you use Outlook Express. Other useful stuff may also be there: profiles, mail files and Favorites (or their equivalent) if you use Firefox and Thunderbird as your browser / email client.

Denis

Thanks guys, that has given me some food for thought!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moonlight6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back