=TABLE command?

HedgePig

Board Regular
Hello

I have inherited a spreadsheet which has the following command in a cell:
{=TABLE(N1,M1)}

I can't figure out what it is doing or even where this function comes from! "Help" doesn't show any such function. There aren't any macros, so it's not user defined. I suspect that it might come from an add-in that I don't have; however the function recalculates accurately and I would have expected an error message if I didn't have the add-in.
If I try and enter the function in another cell, I get a "That function is not valid" message.

Strangely, if I enter this beast in another cell and don't use Ctrl+Shift+Enter, Excel simplay displays the following text: =TABLE(N1,M1), rather than error message. But if I don't use Ctrl+Shift+Enter in the original cell, then I get the "That function is not valid" message.

I am baffled! Can anyone explain to me sort of animal I have here?

Regards
HedgePig

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Hi

This comes from the Data, Table menu option. Have a look at the help item on Data tables.

To be honest, I get confused every time I have to do one of those things, but once you get them going they can be quite useful....

Tony

Upvote 0
Thanks Tony!

That's what I was looking for! It provides useful functionality that I had never come across although I must say that the syntax is more than a little strange.

Gratefully

HedgePig

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back