Table Reference Formula Being Replaced

preitano

Hi,

I have a table that contains a fairly simple formula to get the name of a dorm building from a provided string:
=LEFT([On-Campus Residence],[First /]-1)
The formula only exists within the table where it is being used.

The formula works fine and is added to future rows. However, it somehow gets translated to:
=LEFT('Student Cases'!$F$6:$F$1510,'Student Cases'!$O$6:$O$1510-1)
I'm unsure of when they change, but when I look back they have all been changed.

While this new formula still functions, the address range is expanded sometimes, but not always. I've written a macro to insert the correct formula (it's actually a set of 5 that work together), but these eventually get replaced as well.

Is there something wrong with using a formula that references table columns by name when the table will expand?

Thank you

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Go to File -> Options, click Formulas on the left, and under Working with formulas make sure Use Table Names in Formulas is checked.

I think that should solve the problem!

Upvote 0
Go to File -> Options, click Formulas on the left, and under Working with formulas make sure Use Table Names in Formulas is checked.

I think that should solve the problem!
Thanks. I had checked that first (sorry, I should have mentioned that), and I have other table formulas in the same workbook that seem to repopulate properly.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I had checked that first (sorry, I should have mentioned that), and I have other table formulas in the same workbook that seem to repopulate properly.
When you select a cell in the table, does the Table Design tab appear? If not, it may look like a table but it's not (an Excel) Table!

Upvote 0
When you select a cell in the table, does the Table Design tab appear? If not, it may look like a table but it's not (an Excel) Table!
The Design tab does appear and I can see the table name (StudentCases) on the ribbon. Also, the formulas work properly with the column name references.

I just did a test and noticed that after saving the workbook there's no change in the formula (=LEFT([On-Campus Residence],[First /]-1)), but after closing and reopening the file they are replaced again (=LEFT('Student Cases'!$F$6:$F$1548,'Student Cases'!$O$6:$O$1548-1)).

It also seems odd to me that the references are all absolute in the replacement version.

Upvote 0
The Design tab does appear and I can see the table name (StudentCases) on the ribbon. Also, the formulas work properly with the column name references.

I just did a test and noticed that after saving the workbook there's no change in the formula (=LEFT([On-Campus Residence],[First /]-1)), but after closing and reopening the file they are replaced again (=LEFT('Student Cases'!$F$6:$F$1548,'Student Cases'!$O$6:$O$1548-1)).

It also seems odd to me that the references are all absolute in the replacement version.
I'm kind of stumped, but one thing I notice is the formula
Excel Formula:
=LEFT([On-Campus Residence],[First /]-1)
is not within the table. The [] refers to an entire column which would be a spilled array, but they're not allowed within a table.

I've tried to reproduce the problem putting spilled table column formulas in various locations on the Worksheet with the Table as well as other Worksheets, but can't replicate it! Maybe if you used XL2BB and posted at least part of the table itself? Are there any Named ranges that might be conflicting? Otherwise, I'm stumped!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Postman24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back