Tagging Data in Excel

rjbinney

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I don't think "Smart Tags" are my answer here.

I have a column with lots of anecdotal data in it, and I would like to be able to sort it into various buckets. I can add columns for each "bucket", and either have it checked or not, but that seems like overkill. Is there a way to just add tags (like we do on this very board)?

For example:
DataTag
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I like to have blueberry cake donuts. Sometimes, if I have the time, I like to have a bowl or two of Boo-Berry cereal. Sometimes I oversleep - and I just have to pick at whatever fresh berries are lying around the break room.Breakfast; Blueberries; Mornings
What's the opposite of a vegetarian? A Meatatarian? A Baconairian? I can't stand fruits or vegetables - they come out of the ground! People walk on the ground. Dogs pee on the ground! Who would eat that? Bacon for breakfast, sausage for dinner, just like the Good Lord intended!Breakfast; Dinner; Meat
Ugh. I am usually so hungover I can't even think about putting anything in my mouth before Noon. Mornings are "mommy time", as far as I'm concerned.Mornings

<tbody>
</tbody>

So I could sort for "Breakfast" and get both quotes, "Mornings" would get the first and last, etc.

The best I can think of is:
DataBlueberriesBreakfastDinnerMeatMornings
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I like to have blueberry cake donuts. Sometimes, if I have the time, I like to have a bowl or two of Boo-Berry cereal. Sometimes I oversleep - and I just have to pick at whatever fresh berries are lying around the break room.xxx
What's the opposite of a vegetarian? A Meatatarian? A Baconairian? I can't stand fruits or vegetables - they come out of the ground! People walk on the ground. Dogs pee on the ground! Who would eat that? Bacon for breakfast, sausage for dinner, just like the Good Lord intended!xxx
Ugh. I am usually so hungover I can't even think about putting anything in my mouth before Noon. Mornings are "mommy time", as far as I'm concerned.x

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
In the tags you must put a short name, for example: "blueberr" to find "blueberries" or "blueberry"

Excel Workbook
ABCDEF
1BlueberrBreakDinnerMeatMorning
2Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I like to have blueberry cake donuts. Sometimes, if I have the time, I like to have a bowl or two of Boo-Berry cereal. Sometimes I oversleep - and I just have to pick at whatever fresh berries are lying around the break room.XXX
3What's the opposite of a vegetarian? A Meatatarian? A Baconairian? I can't stand fruits or vegetables - they come out of the ground! People walk on the ground. Dogs pee on the ground! Who would eat that? Bacon for breakfast, sausage for dinner, just like the Good Lord intended!XXX
4Ugh. I am usually so hungover I can't even think about putting anything in my mouth before Noon. Mornings are "mommy time", as far as I'm concerned.X
Hoja1

Formula in cell B2:

=IF(IFERROR(SEARCH("*"&B$1&"*",$A$2:$A$10),0)=0,"","X")

Copy to the right and down

Upvote 0
Thanks. In another thread, trying to do something else, I learned this one:

Code:
[B][url=https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/1086782-concatenate-if.html]=TEXTJOIN(", ",1,INDEX(REPT(B$1:H$1,B2:H2="x"),0))[/url][/B]

Upvote 0
Ok, let me know if you need more information.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max_pedreira

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back