Take data from last row and copy to cell

fearlessg1

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all, excel noob here looking for some help after no luck with searching the web.
I have a spreadsheet that has progress comments for back and forth commenting. I am trying to have a cell that displays the last(newest) comment from the row for each line item. In my pasted example, I would like for item 1, J4 to have the AL4 text of "test 4".
And for item 2, cell J5 should have the text from Z5 of "test 2", and as more revision status updates are added, the latest revision update now show up for each item in the J column. I attached a picture to help visualize. Apologies if I am not explaining clearly.

Attachments

• excel help.jpg
    excel help.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 5

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
How about
Excel Formula:
=LOOKUP(2,1/($K$2:$AN$2="Status"),K4:AN4)

Upvote 0
Firstly, thank you so much for the welcome and the help!
This works for the first item, where there is something in the status cell to the end, however for item 2, it is returning 0 since the comments ended at Z. Is there anyway to modify this to ignore the blanks and return the last "status" that had something in the cell?

Upvote 0
Oops, forgot part of it, try
Excel Formula:
=LOOKUP(2,1/(($K$2:$AN$2="Status")*(K4:AN4<>"")),K4:AN4)

Upvote 0
1 more adder if you don't mind sir. Could an iferror or something similar be incorporated to leave the cell blank if the "status" is blank? Currently it returns a circular reference error and if the formula is copied down the cells, if the line has no status, it's mirroring the status of the line I drag down from. Hope I'm explaining clearly.

Upvote 0
If the formula is going in col J it will not return a circular reference. If you are getting that notification you will need to figure out why.

Upvote 0
If the formula is going in col J it will not return a circular reference. If you are getting that notification you will need to figure out why.
Your comment pointed me to what I did wrong. I moved the formula cell to N, but failed to modify the start point. I made that correction and it's now showing NA if the status is blank. Thank you!

Upvote 0
You can remove the #N/A error like
Excel Formula:
=IFNA(LOOKUP(2,1/(($K$2:$AN$2="Status")*(K4:AN4<>"")),K4:AN4),"")
obviously you will need to change the ranges to suit.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back