Taming External data/Table update process

andydtaylor

Office Version
  1. 2016
Hi,

I am battling table properties for external data refreshed in Excel. I want a table shrinking/growing to add/remove rows in a Spreadsheet. Should be possible, right?

It feels like the guy at Microsoft writing this functionality got fired halfway through, and it's not finished! Has anyone found a way to trick Excel into doing this? I have tried merging cells below tables to no avail.

My use case (for data added) onlky:

Table in Range D12: L58

1. Insert cells for new data
Content on Line 60 and below is broken between Columns A&C and M & beyond (i.e.to XFD). Content between columns D&L is shifted down

2. Insert Entire rows for new data, clear unused cells
Content on Line 60 and below is <b>broken between Columns A&C<b>. Content from Columns D to beyond (i.e.to XFD) is shifted down uniformly.

3. Overwrite existing cells.
Overwrites cells. Bad

Thanks,

Andy

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Your description is a little fuzzy. Do you have any code to show us what you are trying to do. What is the name of the Table you are trying add lines to.

Upvote 0
Hi

Thanks for your reply. No code but let me try rephrasing.

Out of the box Excel tables connected to external data have 3 options for controlling their behaviors on update (addition to) externally connected data. These are:

1. Push area down only immediately below table and remove if table rows not required on subsequent update (introduces misalignment)
2. Insert rows (no capability to remove rows) below and to the right of table but not to the left or table (introduces misalignment)
3. Overwrite content below your table.

I would like a table growing or shrinking to add or remove entire rows below the table. I’m an adult, I should be allowed to do this... (2) comes closest but obscurely this does not insert rows to left of table and cannot remove them when external data shrinks.

Any thought on extracting the behavior I would like from Excel is appreciated

Thanks

Andy

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back