Team Paring without Duplicates

Strugglin Exceller

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm new here. and I have a problem that I have not been able to get an answer to. I thought it was simple and maybe I was overcomplicating it. but appears to be harder than I thought. I searched this forum and couldn't find what I need. so I apologize if this was already answered.

My local golf course asked me to create a spreadsheet for Auto paring teams and creating a schedule.

My Criteria:
  • I want to make a schedule that is automated that takes the number of teams and pairs them over the course of 16 weeks. No one would play the same team again until everyone has played each other once. I believe there would be 120 matches before a team would play an opponent they already played if there were also 16 teams. once everyone has played each other once. it would start over.
  • I would like to be able to make the season a variable so it can be adjusted. A typical season is 16 weeks
  • I would like to make the number of teams a variable so that I can adjust each year as the teams increase or decrease each year.
The following screenshot is a sample of the schedule. 1 vs 2 etc is team number.
View attachment 33953

This is the formula I used =CONCATENATE((LEFT(R4,2)+1)," vs ",IF((RIGHT(R4,2)+1)=17,2,((RIGHT(R4,2)+1)))) It worked until week 11 until I ran into problems. I need to make 16 weeks

I'm assuming VBA may be easier. but I don't understand much of VBA.

Any help would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
hi and welcome to MrExcel. is it possible to link your workbook so i can see what you have. you can use dropbox for that. i tend to go more for VBA solutions but i would still be interested to at least see if it is a simple error you have

Upvote 0
hi and welcome to MrExcel. is it possible to link your workbook so i can see what you have. you can use dropbox for that. i tend to go more for VBA solutions but i would still be interested to at least see if it is a simple error you have
Thank you Diddi. Yes I can share the sheet to what I have. I can use dropbox.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
When you put the file on dropbox, mark for sharing & then post the link you are given to the thread.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back