Technical drawings in Excel

JoshuaX1980

Board Regular
Hello,

I want to make technical drawings in a raster format, so one can count the number of squares to get an idea of length, widths and sizes. I failed to find an option in Powerpoint to give me a raster, so now I am drawing in Excel, I make the columnwidth equal to the rowwidth to give me squares. Now I am drawing "snap to raster" and it works fine. Now when I set the row and column width I see only the pixelsize width (e.g.14 pixels) while I would like to have cm's, so that when I print the scale is related to the cm scale. It would be fantastic if I can have column and row width 0.5cm, draw on it and when I print I can get true measures with my ruler.
Is this possible in Excel? And am I missing something in Powerpoint, I was really surprised one cannot use a raster in Powerpoint (apart from the invisible snap-raster on the background ).
I don't have AutoCad or another program available here to make
drawings.

I hope somebody can help me with this problem

Cheers,
Lennart

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.

RalphA

As far as I know, Excel presents only the 72 points per inch for vertical spacings, with a minimum increment of 0.75 of a point.

Since the English (American) system of length used by Excel and the metric system of length have no exact relationship (39.37 inches = 1 meter), and the point system takes us even further from it, I don't see how one could manage to use Excel with cms, or its multiples, as the distance beween vertical gridlines. The horizontal gridlines present a further problem.

I believe that you should search the Internet for a suitable drafting program that fits your needs. I am sure that you will find more than one in that category. Good luck.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
srishtijain0708