Technical drawings in Excel

JoshuaX1980

Board Regular
Hello,

I want to make technical drawings in a raster format, so one can count the number of squares to get an idea of length, widths and sizes. I failed to find an option in Powerpoint to give me a raster, so now I am drawing in Excel, I make the columnwidth equal to the rowwidth to give me squares. Now I am drawing "snap to raster" and it works fine. Now when I set the row and column width I see only the pixelsize width (e.g.14 pixels) while I would like to have cm's, so that when I print the scale is related to the cm scale. It would be fantastic if I can have column and row width 0.5cm, draw on it and when I print I can get true measures with my ruler.
Is this possible in Excel? And am I missing something in Powerpoint, I was really surprised one cannot use a raster in Powerpoint (apart from the invisible snap-raster on the background ).
I don't have AutoCad or another program available here to make
drawings.

I hope somebody can help me with this problem

Cheers,
Lennart

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
As far as I know, Excel presents only the 72 points per inch for vertical spacings, with a minimum increment of 0.75 of a point.

Since the English (American) system of length used by Excel and the metric system of length have no exact relationship (39.37 inches = 1 meter), and the point system takes us even further from it, I don't see how one could manage to use Excel with cms, or its multiples, as the distance beween vertical gridlines. The horizontal gridlines present a further problem.

I believe that you should search the Internet for a suitable drafting program that fits your needs. I am sure that you will find more than one in that category. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back