Temporarily Display Popup

hatman

So I am building a tutorial for one of my applications. At one point in the sequence, I would like to demonstrate the use of a popup menu. I was thinking that displaying the popup menu would be nice, so the user knows what it looks like. I see a couple of possible roadblocks here, but let's start with the first:

Code:
Application.CommandBars("Pes_Vacation").ShowPopup
displays the popup, but then the code pauses waiting for the user to make a selection from the menu. Is there a way to simply display the menu for a period of 2 or 3 seconds, then make it disappear, and continue running the code without requiring the user to make a selection?

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
hatman,
I tired a few things and ran into the same issue as you. Processing ceases when the pop-up appears, which mean you will not be able to do anything to eliminate this.

Alternatives?
Maybe create some screenshots that you can pull up instead of the actual menu. Then you should be able to control the length of time.

HTH
Cal

Upvote 0
Yeah, that's about what I came up with... I was thinking alternative might be to make a dummy userform that looks enough like a popup that the user won't notice, and then manipulate THAT for demonstration purpose...

Thanx Cbrine, I'll play and see and what looks best.

Upvote 0
hatman,

You can use a screen scraper app to get an acutal pic of the menu, and just add that to a userform. I used Wisdom screenhunter to test this, with the RECTANGLE AREA option. That way you don't need to try and build it.

HTH
Cal

Upvote 0
Thanx CBrine. Sounds like we went down the same route (though i don't have a screen grabber installed on this machine, and they down't trust me to do it). I simply did a Ctrl+Print Screen, then pasted into Paintbrush, and used a photo editor to crop it, then inserted into a userform with a caption of Popup Sample. Looks okay.

Thanx for thinking of me and following up!

Upvote 0
Those terrible screen scraper applications. I believe they must be related to **** & warez sites somehow, no wonder your IT group won't let you have them. It might make your job easier or something, and IT isn't there to help you. :devilish: :eek:
Sounds like you got a handle on in spite of your IT groups iSAnE rULeS.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back