Testing to check how secure Excel Password protected Worksheets are

johnnyL

Office Version
  1. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm asking for submissions from users here of Excel test files that have a password "protected worksheet". I would like to compile a list of which versions of Excel are better at protecting worksheets than other versions.

Submissions should be links to Excel files that are for test only, no sensitive info files please, this is for testing only.

1) All submissions are requested to be made via upload of excel file, There are many googleable sites that offer free uploads of files, for example. Please supply the link to the uploaded file.
2) Please indicate which version of excel was used to password 'protect' a worksheet in the excel file
3) Please indicate which sheet in the excel file is password 'protected'
4) Please indicate how long the password is that was used to 'protect' the worksheet

THIS IS FOR MY TESTING! DO NOT SUBMIT ANY LINKS TO SENSITIVE INFO FILES!!!

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
@johnnyL
FWIW....Better is relative....Is one version better than another because it takes a fraction of a second longer to "Unprotect" the worksheet, whether those means are honorable OR devious ?
I don't know about 365, but earlier versions are abysmal at security...just my 2 bobs worth... :cool:

Upvote 0
That's what I am trying to check, which versions of excel have better security as far as password 'protected' worksheets. Nothing nefarious on my end, that is why I explicitly stated NO SENSITIVE INFO FILES!!!

Upvote 0
Sorry mate....I wasn't suggesting your means weren't honorable....I was more saying they are all rubbish !!!

Upvote 0
Ok, I wrapped up my testing for Excel 2007, worksheet password length from 2 to 15:

I guess I will start checking Excel 2013 now.

Attachments

• UnlockWorksheet.PNG
    UnlockWorksheet.PNG
    35.7 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 0
LOL....so it looks like if you want to have a strong password.....use 2 characters...that doesn't really make sense does it ??
Did you use characters as well as text / numbers ?

Upvote 0
Yes, it is very strange that the 2 character password consistently took the longest time.
Passwords with a length of 4 or greater consisted of upper case, lower case, numeric, and special characters.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back