Text boxes & On Got Focus event: equivalent to Dropdown?

Thirith

Board Regular
Yup, I'm afraid it's me again. :) This is a silly little problem, but I could imagine that it'll make my form more user-friendly:

When a user navigates the form's text boxes, is there a command I can use with the On Got Focus event that enters the text box so I don't need to click into it? For a number of the combo boxes, I've got the equivalent (Me!cboMyCombo.Dropdown), which means that if I tab into a text box I can immediately use the arrow keys. Since someone will have to go through our records, double-checking spellings etc., it would be handy if they could tab into a text box and immediately use the cursor keys to get to the bit in the text box where they have to correct a mistake, rather than having to click in the text box. Sure, it's a very minor thing, but it would make things easier for people (like me) who prefer to navigate forms with the tab key.

In other words, if I understand the terminology correctly I'd want to 'force' an Enter event on certain text boxes when they receive focus. Does this make sense and can it be done?

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Yup, I'm afraid it's me again. :) This is a silly little problem, but I could imagine that it'll make my form more user-friendly:

When a user navigates the form's text boxes, is there a command I can use with the On Got Focus event that enters the text box so I don't need to click into it? For a number of the combo boxes, I've got the equivalent (Me!cboMyCombo.Dropdown), which means that if I tab into a text box I can immediately use the arrow keys. Since someone will have to go through our records, double-checking spellings etc., it would be handy if they could tab into a text box and immediately use the cursor keys to get to the bit in the text box where they have to correct a mistake, rather than having to click in the text box. Sure, it's a very minor thing, but it would make things easier for people (like me) who prefer to navigate forms with the tab key.

In other words, if I understand the terminology correctly I'd want to 'force' an Enter event on certain text boxes when they receive focus. Does this make sense and can it be done?

What you should do is set the Tab Order so when you press tab it goes to the Field in the order you want, then when they reach the field for editing, simply press F2 on the keyboard this is the same Edit key you can use on Excel or renaming files etc.

Trevor G

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply. The tab order's already been set up; I was mainly wondering whether there was any way of setting up text boxes so when they get the focus (by tabbing into them) they are automatically set to Edit mode, i.e. the user doesn't have to press F2. It's a small inconvenience that I can't just tab into a text box and start editing it (other than entering new content) but first have to press F2 or click into it. (I sometimes get hung up on very minor fine-tuning, thinking that the only thing between my current form and perfection is that people don't have to press F2... :p)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grijken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back