Text Effects In Excel

monirg

Is there a way to make a text in a cell blinking, or shimmering, or sparkling!!. Only the text, not the fill and not a text box.

Thank you. :rolleyes:

Monir,

I still don't have any flashes of brilliance for your overall "jiggling" problem. But I can answer some of your other questions.

(a) If you want to have a blinking pointer rotating down A4:A8 then the conditional format in A4:A8 needs to be:<ul>[*]=(MOD(SECOND(NOW())-1,5)+4)=ROW()[/list]A more generic version of the "rotating down" formula would be:<ul>[*]=(MOD(SECOND(NOW())-1,# of rows rotating through)+starting row #)=ROW()[/list]

(b) If you want to have a blinking pointer rotating up A4:A8 then the conditional format in A4:A8 needs to be:<ul>[*]=(8-MOD(SECOND(NOW())-1,5))=ROW()[/list]A more generic version of the "rotating up" formula would be:<ul>[*]=Row # of last row-(MOD(SECOND(NOW())-1,# of rows rotating through))=ROW()[/list]
{Edit} I was going to add in here somewhere that I was able to delete the "-1" bit from these "rotating conditional formulae" without experiencing any adverse effects. I haven't been able to suss out why Tushar slipped that into the formula - I'm assuming for robustness under some condition; but I have yet to discover what condition that would be.{EndEdit}

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Greg;

This is a follow up to my earlier 2 replies (Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:35 am, 9:29 pm).

1. I've deleted everything from the w/b, except the flashing cell, just to make sure there is no conflict between the timer events and the other event handlers in the w/b.
With only a single flashing cell in the entire w/b, the jiggling (or pulsating) side effects remain (on the w/s, mouse pointer, task bar Ready, etc.), even with the conditional format returning False and there is no flashing cell! (XL 2003, Windows XP).

2. I've also tried the same procedure but on a different computer (XL 2000, Windows 95), just to make sure that it is not a hardware related issue. Same jiggling effects! Is it the conditional format ?

3. I'm using the conditional format you suggested earlier:
Formula Is :: =AND(A1="Wrong", MOD(SECOND(NOW)),2)=1)

4. I've placed Activate and Deactivate events in the w/s code, Open and BeforeClose events in ThisWorkbook, and RepeatOneSec() and EndProcess in a standard module.

5. Should I just forget about a Flashing Cell and try some other less dramatic text effects ? Maybe, an asterisk moving (quietly!) in a column (please see my reply Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:29 pm? Tushar advised that "Greg" has the answer for this one as well and more!

Thanks again. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Greg;

Thank you for your generous reply, which I've just received after sending mine! My apologies. I'm still using dial-up which puts sending tasks before receiving!

I'll carefully follow your advice and let you know.

Thanks again, and have a good day! :)

Upvote 0
Greg;

Your help has been greatly appreciated. Your latest formulae are perfect!

1. It is reasonable to assume at this point that the Excel screen "jiggling" or "pulsating" problem observed in both scenarios of the Conditional Format returning TRUE or FALSE :
....1.a can't be hardware related, since it is encountered on 2 different brand name computers
....1.b can't be Conditional Format related, since it occurs even with no conditional format cells (only the timer macros and the events in a new w/b)
....1.c can't be Excel related, since it is encountered with 2 different versions of Excel (XL2000 & XL 2003)
....1.d can't be Operating System related, since it occurs with 2 different OS (Windows 95 & Windows XP)

2. The only items left on the check-list is the RepeatOneSec() macro, but you didn't encounter such problem when you tried the timer (right?)
Could it be that my procedure is at fault ? (Activate & Deactivate w/s events, Open & BeforeClose w/b events, and RepeatOneSec() & EndProcess() in a regular module). Are you using the exact procedure ?

3. The most surprising by far is the observation 1.b above. The w/s in the new w/b has absolutely nothing on it (except the events and the timer macro). Yet, the Excel screen, the mouse pointer, the task bar Ready, etc. still "jiggle" at random, probably at the one-second intervals of the timer !!!!!

4. Do you think Excel::Tools::Options may have something to do with the timer not running quietly?

I just hate to give-up at this point having gone that far!

Thanks again. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Greg;

Hello again!

I'm testing a different timer macro which appears to be more stable and a bit quieter than Tushar's.

But as usual, there is a problem! The "Paste" and "Paste Special" commands in the Excel::Edit menu are disabled while the OnTime macro is running!

Sounds familiar? Well, you solved this problem earlier (this thread, Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:35 pm), by inserting in the RepeatOneSec() macro code the following IF structure:
.....IF Application.CutCopyMode = False Then
.....End IF

I tried same in the new OnTime macro code, without success!

What is the trick ? Where should I insert the above CutCopyMode condition ? It has to be in the macro containing the OnTime method. Correct ?

Would appreciate your advice. Thank you.

Upvote 0
ok simply, i want a cell's text to flash by changing the colour to bold red, then back to black with a pause between changes so the user notices it. I want to be able to run this on a textbox and automatically stop after it has run for x times or for y long (preferably for x times as it makes it simpler).
There must be a way to stop it as soon as the page is changes and or a button is clicked.

If anyone knows how to do this, preferably avoiding flashy/flicker side effect, please reply,

Many thanks

Upvote 0
monirg,
I am experiencing the same 'pulsating screen' effect that you do. You can emphasize the effect dramatically by changing the TimeSerial(0, 0, 1) to TimeSerial(0, 0, 0.1). It appears that the entire screen is quickly refreshing each time the timer switches the cells formatting. Were you able to find a solution?

Upvote 0
Roger;

I've not been able to eliminate the pulsating screen effect resulting from the use of a timer macro. I've tried few procedures. The text effect could easily be achieved, yet the "nauseating" side effects remain!

I had hoped to be able to achieve something similar (or close) to that available in MS Word text effect, but it was not to be.

Here is a naive idea which I may try at some point. Replace the updated NOW function (which is the root of the problem) by a null loop with index = 1000 or 5000, depending on the CPU. It might do the trick!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danger_SF

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back