text size in dropdowns

Pat from Indy

Is there any way to manipulate the point size in a pick list? We have a long spreadsheet, and most of us look at it at 50% view size, which makes the dropdowns very difficult to see. I have a sheet of 'Lists' for my data validation references, but it makes no difference what point size I use.

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Format the size of the font in the cell that the pick from list is located in. If it's a list box or combobox, then right click the control and goto properties and you can set the font size. This is assuming you are using the control toolbox and not forms.

Questions?

http://www.excelquestions.com

Upvote 0
zacemmel,

Thanks, but that isn't working. I've even tried deleting the reference and adding it new after increasing the point size, but no luck. fyi: I'm on Excel '97 for Windows, I'm making lists on a separate sheet, then highlighting the list, using the Insert/Name/Define function, then on the spreadsheet I'm adding the link through Data/Validation/Settings/Lists and typing "=listname". That works fine, except for the size of the dropdown list. Any other thoughts?

Upvote 0
Pat,

If it's the list you want to format, I don't think you can do that. One way around that, which is a hassle is to use ZOOM on the View Menu

Upvote 0
Yeah, I can reformat the cells that contain the data to exhibit the picked item any size I want, but the pick list itself always remains in that tiny font (but in this large window with all kinds of extra space, which seems a waste. If the window was confined to the cell size, I could understand the size limitation, but it doesn't seem to be related to that. It's as if the dropdown window size is predetermined.) Anyway, it's looking like the Zoom feature may be the only way to enlarge the dropdown, which *is* a hassle as you say. Bummer; I was hoping there was a fancy-dancy workaround...

Upvote 0
I may have misunderstood. You have a drop down combo box or list box you pick from? If you use the combo box from the "Control toolbox" toolbar (vice Forms toolbar), then you can right click on the combo box , select properties and set Font and size.

Upvote 0
Sorry for previous false start - bit new at this
I have created a combo box as suggested but unlike a combo box I received from a previous work colleague I can only get a combo box with 3 pages in Format Control
Size, Protection, Properties
My ex-colleagues has the additional Control Page.
Please advise how I can create a box with this control page.

Upvote 0
Thanks, zacemmel and chas17. I'm too much of a novice; didn't even know about combo boxes. I need some more training, obviously. This Visual Basic window is way over my head. But at least I know what I need to learn! :wink:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AKSMITH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back