Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,
I have a long column of combined date and time. Here is a portion of it:
1598541629689.png

What I need is two columns, one of the date, and one of the time. I've tried using the Text to Column function (Delimited, space delimiter), and the preview looks just like I would like to see it:
1598541946351.png

But, when I click on Finish I get this:
1598542273128.png

The desired result was the date only, yet I still get the trailing 0:00 after the date. Either I am not using the Text to Column function properly or it's the wrong function to use. Any help that someone might give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. A

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
That is just the date format. Just change the format of the column to one that only has dates and no times.

Upvote 0
I changed the column format to short date, and it removed the times. Then I used the column in a pivot table and when I ran it, I still got the time attached to the date.
1598545444703.png

See the yellow times. I was hoping to see just 8/25/2020, 8/26/2020, 8/27/2020, and so forth. What seems to be wrong with what I am doing. Thanks. A

Upvote 0
I changed the column format to short date, and it removed the times. Then I used the column in a pivot table and when I ran it, I still got the time attached to the date.
OK, you misunderstood what I meant.
Changing the format of the cells does NOT change the value. It just changes what it looks like.
You still need to do the "Text to Columns" to remove the times. "0.00" means there is no more time piece. So we just apply the new date format (the one without time) AFTER we do the "Text to Columns" step.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for helping me. I appreciate the assistance. A

Upvote 0
You are welcome.
Glad I was able to help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back