Text to Columns maybe?

griffo

Board Regular
Hi there

I have a file that we output each day where I need to split the detail of a column based on some variables.

In the sample, you can see the different types of outputs that are available. For each output, there can be up to 3 "Lines:" depending on user input. The only mandatory field is "Field One:". The 3 "Lines" can have a maximum of 18 characters only (but anything under that is ok), if that is of any use. The examples shown are the format the database outputs depending on how many lines of info the user inputs (what I mean is the only variables are the bits between the "Line" and the <br>.

What I want to be able to do is split the data in the cell to extract the info from Field One, Line 1, Line 2 and Line 3 if they exist. Ideally what I'd like to do is insert 4 columns to the right of the existing data, put in a "header row" of Field One, Line 1, Line 2, Line 3 and then have the data populate under those headings, if that is possible.

Unfortunately I cannot change the output from the database, so that is not an option.

Have I got any hope of achieving this?

Cheers
Griffo

Field One:NIPb r
Field One:KODAb rLine 1:12334567890b r
Field One:Tacob rLine 1:123 Test Streetb rLine 2:123 456 7890b r
Field One:TEDb rLine 1:Ph: 1234 567 890b rLine 2:18 Testing Streetb rLine 3:City Details Hereb r

EDIT - changed to b r as didn't realise it was going to insert breaks! b r exports as br with <> around the br

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
A simple text to columns won't do the trick, but with a helper column and a few manual steps (which could be automated) you can do what you've described. Note: The steps described below aren't elegant, but they work.
Another note: If your input data can include asterisks, choose a character other than "*" in the formula, and use that character in the text to columns dialog, described below.

First, with your data in column 1, enter the following formula in cell B1 (copy paste for now, but save it in a separated template for future use):
Code:
=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"<br>","*"),"Field One:",""),"Line 1:",""),"Line 2:",""),"Line 3:","")
Copy this down to all of your rows.

Now, highlight all of column B, and copy - paste values. You will lose your formulas, but you need text for "text to columns" to work.

With column B still selected, choose Text to Columns, choose "delimited", and enter an asterisk "*" in the "other" text box. Click Finish, and your output should be what you want.

If this works with your real data, and if you'd like to automate it with a macro, just reply back.

Hope this helps,
Cindy

Upvote 0
Hi Cindy, thanks for your help so far!

What you have suggested does part of what I need, but I didn't quite get there.

Your suggestion has stripped out the "Field One" and "Line 1 Line 2" etc but left the br<> behind.

When I did the Data/Text to Columns, nothing happened (I did copy/paste special the values first).

Now that I'm back on my own computer, I've attached some rows so you can see what I start with and what I've ended up with following your steps. Any additional help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Griffo

EDIT - the "screenshot" below is different to what i see in Excel. I don't see new lines, I see all the text in each cell is on one line with<> br (where the br sits in between the<> ).
orderitems.xls
ABCD
1FieldOne:KODALine1:0404000123KODA0404000123
2FieldOne:TacoLine1:66TestStLine2:0422111222Taco66TestSt0422111222
3FieldOne:TEDLine1:Ph:0410999888Line2:18TestingStreetLine3:TestCityTEDPh:041099988818TestingStreetTestCity
orderitems

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Seems like formulae didn't come through in paste.
They are

Cell B6: =MID(A6,FIND(":",A6)+1,FIND("<",A6)-FIND(":",A6)-1)

Cell C6: =IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("Line 1",$A6)),MID($A6,FIND("Line 1:",$A6)+7,FIND("<",$A6,FIND("Line 1:",$A6)+6)-(FIND("Line 1:",$A6)+6)-1),"")

Cell D6: =IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("Line 2",$A6)),MID($A6,FIND("Line 2:",$A6)+7,FIND("<",$A6,FIND("Line 2:",$A6)+6)-(FIND("Line 2:",$A6)+6)-1),"")

Cell E6: =IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("Line 3",$A6)),MID($A6,FIND("Line 3:",$A6)+7,FIND("<",$A6,FIND("Line 3:",$A6)+6)-(FIND("Line 3:",$A6)+6)-1),"")

Then copy B6:E:6 down for four rows

Upvote 0
Hi chrisl

That is genius - have just done a test and that worked perfectly!

Now to decipher how that actually works......

Thanks very much, greatly appreciated!

Cheers
griffo

Upvote 0
No problems Griffo

Each formula is basically a MID of the cell in column A
First one starts when it finds a colon and stops when it finds a <
Next one starts 7 characters after where it finds "Line 1" and stops when it find the next <
and so on for line 2 and 3

For the 2nd, 3rd, 4th formula, there is a test to make sure that the respective line 1,2 or 3 is actually in that particular cell.

Upvote 0
Sorry for the late reply to your reply...I think I'm on the other side of the world :) There was a substitute for the "<br>" in the formula...but it disappeared there as it did in your original post.
I know you have a solution...but here's the formula as intended...but you'll have to remove the extra set of quotes from around the "<" and ">" that surround the br:
=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A7,""<"br">"","*"),"Field One:",""),"Line 1:",""),"Line 2:",""),"Line 3:","")

(It's been more challenging to get the formulas to display on this one than to solve the original problem!)

Cindy

Upvote 0
Okay, just spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how these formulas were finding ">" in the cells...Forgot the OP mentioned these marks! :biggrin: Cindy, your solution jogged my memory there. Nice ideas here.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back