Coolsandyp

Office Version
  1. 2019
  2. 2016
  3. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
I am doing text to columns from a text file in excel. It has one column of numbers where numbers are shown as 1,000.00 , 2,500.00, 3,51,000.00......Wherever one comma occurs in numbers, it interprets as number but numbers with 2 commas are interpreted as text. I have tried all methods (Text to column, Value function, multiplication by 1, adding 0,etc ) to convert them back to number but none works. Kindly find me an easy solution.

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Bring your table into Power Query, Highlight the column in question. Right click and "Change Type" Select Whole number or Decimal. Save and Load to Excel Native.

Upvote 0
Bring your table into Power Query, Highlight the column in question. Right click and "Change Type" Select Whole number or Decimal. Save and Load to Excel Native.
The version I use does not support power query.

Upvote 0
... numbers are shown as 1,000.00 , 2,500.00, 3,51,000.00......
Is "3,51,000.00" an example of an instance where the number has two commas? If so, I would expect trouble. Commas need to be in legal positions for numeric values for excel to interpret them as numbers.

Upvote 0
Is "3,51,000.00" an example of an instance where the number has two commas? If so, I would expect trouble. Commas need to be in legal positions for numeric values for excel to interpret them as numbers.
Yes....It says the value is Three Lakh Fifty-One Thousand

Upvote 0
Sorry to be dense, but what is "Lakh"?

Upvote 0
Why not just remove all comma? you can use SUBSTITUTE function.
so "3,51,000.00" becomes "351000.00"

Upvote 0
Ok, I see. Do you have your regional settings in the Win Control panel set to English (India) which seems to be the setting designed to accommodate the unusual (well, at least from my national perspective anyway) comma pattern for Lakh?

Upvote 0
Ok, I see. Do you have your regional settings in the Win Control panel set to English (India) which seems to be the setting designed to accommodate the unusual (well, at least from my national perspective anyway) comma pattern for Lakh?
yes

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back