Text vs Numeric cells

ds_robb

Board Regular
I have an issue with Excel in the way numbers are being stored once imported from a .CSV file. Some are treated as numbers (right aligned) and some are treated as text fields (left aligned). I've been able to change some of these by replacing the preceding =" with a null, however there are others which are still left aligned and they don't seem to have an preceding character or hidden characters to change. I've seen various methods such as copying a blank cell, then highlighting the cells in question, paste special, select values and add. My issue is these cells are interspersed with valid text cells, so if I used that method, against the whole column it causes issues with legitimate text cells. I need something that I can apply to a whole column of values, converting only the numeric values held as text to numeric.

On the attached image, the red arrow shows there is no visible preceding character such as a =", ' etc.

Hope this make sense.

Attachments

• Excel.PNG
    Excel.PNG
    24 KB · Views: 13

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Something you might try... select the entire column, call up the Text To Columns dialog box (Data tab, Data Tools panel) and click the Finish button as soon as the dialog box appears.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back