Textbox MaxLength Property Not Functioning

kjharve

Board Regular
Hi,

Has anyone had any problems with the MaxLength property not working? I built an application in Excel VBA for work, in it a text box needs to be limited to 255 characters as the information is eventually written to an Access database text field.

I have set the MaxLength property to 255 but the users are experiencing errors as they are not always stopped at 255 characters. I've tried to replicate this with my local version but have had no success.

I know I could do a work around by using "len" to check whether 255 characters has been exceeded, but, well frankly I don't see that it should be necessary!

Anyone had a similar issue or maybe have an explanation? The application is run on Excel '97.

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Just to let you all know - I've solved it!

The MaxLength property cannot be relied upon when the MultiLine property is set to True.

This is because a carriage return character should be counted as two characters but for some reason is only counted as one for the purposes of the MaxLength property.

The impact of this is that if you have MaxLength set to 255 and you type 253 letters, pressing "enter" twice to separate to paragraphs, the actual character count is 257 (using len(textbox.text) ) Thus an error is generated when you attempt to write this string to a text field in a database!

Thanks for your input guys :wink:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back