The Case of the Ghostly Checkbox

ACommandLineKindaGuy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
OK, this is just plain weird.

Clipboard01.jpg
This image shows the checkbox aligned on the left of the "Subcontract Markup" column. This is "the ghost" and it does not accept focus or click. It is not disabled.
Clipboard02.jpg
This image shows that the actual checkbox is aligned on the left of the "Total Amount" column and has the focus only because I clicked in the "Total Amount" column rather than the "Sub Markup" column--note the focus, and note it is in front of the ghost. Users are going to go nuts clicking away on the ghost...

I checked to see if perhaps there was a copied checkbox that was somehow screwing with things--clicking Design Mode on the Developer tab to bring up the Shape Format tab so I can see the selection pane, show only the expected checkboxes.

Now, I am gonna pick myself off the floor if anyone gives me the solution...

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Try this.
Click on the checkbox you want to keep
Press Tab and it will take you to another textbox on the sheet (or any other "shapes" you have there).
Keep tabbing to see if it selects the ghost, and if it does, then you can press Delete

Upvote 0
Good thought--but no luck.

As it turns out though, I solved the issue. I was composing a long message trying to explain the purpose of this code while excluding extraneous information, and as is often the case--the solution came to me as I thought the issue through.

Solution: When a control is anchored to a column that gets hidden and the control is also made not visible, then when displaying that column again it's not enough to just make the control visible; you must also re-anchor it, because it can "forget" it's position

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back