The correct row is not being highlighted and having appropriate code run on that row

dpaton05

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
This is a strange error as it happens to me sometimes, but not every time. There are two procedures that both are used to identify a row and do something to it. They are called Transfer and LateCancel. They both are meant to cycle through each row, highlighting one row at a time and ask "is this the row?" When the user selects Yes it does something to the row and exits the sub. If No is selected, the highlighting is removed from that row and the next row is highlighted, asking the same question. The subs are initiated from a totals sheet where there 2 spots to enter a date and a request number in some cells. One spot for the Transfer sub to run and one spot for the LateCancel.

The transfer sub is not self explanatory from it's name. This is run on jobs that are to be cancelled.

Order of events
  1. I run the sub Transfer from the totals sheet through a command button
  2. Row 4 in the July sheet is highlighted
  3. I am asked the question, "Is this the job you want to cancel?"
  4. I press No and the highlighting moves to row 5 and asks the same question.
  5. I press Yes on this row and the row is moved to the cancellations sheet and the sub is exited
  6. I run the sub again from the totals sheet
  7. Row 4 in the July sheet is highlighted
  8. I am asked the question, "Is this the job you want to cancel?"
  9. I press No and the highlighting moves to row 5 and asks the same question.
  10. I press Yes on this row and the row is moved to the cancellations sheet and the sub is exited
    1. This is exactly what I want it to do so far
  11. I now go back to the totals sheet and run the LateCancel sub
  12. There is one row left in the July sheet that matches the filters of the autofilter so I would expect that row to be highlighted
  13. The header row is highlighted next, where it should have highlighted the remaining row that matches the autofilter. It also asks me the above question.
  14. If I keep pressing No, the row is highlighted agan after each time and asked the same question
  15. If I press Yes, I get the error message that "No jobs have been selected as a late cancel"
  16. I run the LateCancel sub again from the totals sheet and it repeats the steps from step 12

1. I know that this is a sometimes error as if I re-open my file and run the LateCancel sub first, the 3 jobs are cycled though as expected, and I am asked the question each time.
  2. If I press Yes or No, it does what it's meant to do

I have been doing some testing and this is the totals sheet, where the information is entered. I leave it the same each time and just run the subs.

CSS Work Allocation Sheet.77.xlsm
BCDEFG
22Cancelling a job
23To cancel a job, enter the request number in B25 followed by the date of the proposed job in B27 then press enter and select the cancel the Cancel a job button.
24Request number
26Date
275/07/2021
29Late Cancel
30To enter a job as a late cancel, enter a request number first in B32, followed by the date of the proposed job in B37 then press enter and select the Add Late Cancel button.
31Request number
33Everytime you leave this sheet and return, this will be 3
34Hours charged for a late cancel
36Date
375/07/2021
Totals
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
B27Any value
B25Any value

I have been testing on the one date 5/07/2021 and here is a monthly sheet in the same document as the above sheet where the data is held.
CSS Work Allocation Sheet.77.xlsm
ABCDEFGHIJ
1501 CSS July
3DatePurchase order #Req #NameServiceRequesting OrganisationCaseworker NamePrice ex. GSTGSTPrice inc. GST
45/07/202195Tutoring$2.00
55/07/202195asdfSupervised Contact$219.30$21.93$241.23
65/07/202195asdfSupervised contact$219.30$21.93$241.23
July
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
I5I5=IF(E5="Activities",0,H5*0.1)
J5J5=I5+H5
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
F6:J6Any value

This is my Transfer sub
VBA Code:
Sub Transfer()
        Dim ws As Worksheet, sh As Worksheet, sht As Worksheet, AutoFilterCounter As Long
        Set sh = Sheets("Totals")
        Set sht = Sheets("Cancellations")
        Dim Req As String: Req = sh.[B25].Value
        Dim Dt As String: Dt = sh.[B27].Value
        Dim SheetCounter As Integer: SheetCounter = 0
'Call TurnOffFunctionality

For Each ws In Worksheets
                If ws.Name <> "Cancellations" And ws.Name <> "Totals" And ws.Name <> "Sheet2" Then
                        With ws.[A3].CurrentRegion
                                .AutoFilter 1, Dt           ' autofilter for the value in cell [B27]
                                .AutoFilter 3, Req          ' autofilter for the value in cell [B25]
                                                                    'Check to see if the date cell, column A, for a job has anything in it. If it doesn't, turn the autofilter off and skip to the next sheet.
                                    If ws.[A3].Cells.Offset(1, 0) = "" Then
                                        .AutoFilter
                                        SheetCounter = SheetCounter + 1
                                        'If SheetCounter = 12, none of the 12 monthly sheets have the entered date and request number so let the user know
                                        If SheetCounter = 12 Then
                                            MsgBox "A job with the date and request number entered does not exist"
                                        End If
                                        GoTo SkipSheet
                                    End If

'Check the count Autofilter
                                AutoFilterCounter = .Columns(1).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Count
                                'If value less than 2, only the heading is visible so skip to the next sheet.
                                If AutoFilterCounter < 2 Then
                                    .AutoFilter
                                    'Add 1 to a sheet counter
                                    'If SheetCounter = 12, none of the 12 monthly sheets have the entered date and request number so let the user know
                                    End If
                                    GoTo SkipSheet
                                End If

Dim LastRow As Long
                                LastRow = ws.Cells(ws.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
                                Dim rng As Range: Set rng = ws.Range("A4:A" & LastRow)

Dim rws&: rws = Range("A4:A" & Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(3).Row).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Count
                                'if this range is greater than 1, ask the below question, else continue
                                If rws > 1 Then
                                'If ws.Range("A4", ws.Range("A4").End(xlDown)) > 1 Then
                                    Dim answer As Integer, n As Integer
                                    Dim RowNumber As Long
                                    Dim RowLine As Range
                                    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
                                    n = 0
                                    For Each RowLine In rng.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible)
                                        ws.Activate
                                        RowLine.EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 6
                                        answer = MsgBox("Is this the job you want to cancel?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo + vbDefaultButton2, "Cancel Job")
                                        RowLine.EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 0
                                        If answer = vbYes Then
                                            'Copy and paste the selected row
                                            RowLine.EntireRow.Copy sht.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1)
                                            RowLine.EntireRow.Delete
                                            'I had to include a -3 in here to account for the 3 rows above the data that don't have data in them
                                            'RowNumber = RowLine.Row - 3
                                            GoTo FoundRightJob
                                        End If
                                        If answer = vbNo Then n = n + 1
                                    Next RowLine
                                If n > 0 Then MsgBox " You have chosen not to cancel any of the " & n & " job/s !!"
                                End If

FoundRightJob:

.AutoFilter                 ' turn off the autofilter
                        End With
                End If
SkipSheet:
        Next ws

'sh.Range("B25,B27").ClearContents
'Call TurnOnFunctionality
End Sub

This is my LateCancel sub
VBA Code:
Sub LateCancel()
        Dim ws As Worksheet, sh As Worksheet, sht As Worksheet, QT As String, wb2 As Workbook, WbPath As String, QTPath As String
        Dim Serv As String, Month As String, Service As String, LCPrice As String, AutoFilterCounter As Long
        Set wb2 = ThisWorkbook
        'QT = "CSS_quoting_tool_29.5.xlsm"
        Set sh = wb2.Worksheets("Totals")

'values on totals sheet that the user is looking for
        Dim LCReq As String: LCReq = sh.Cells(32, 2).Value
        'Dim LCDt As String: LCDt = sh.Cells(37, 2).Value
        Dim LCDt As String: LCDt = CDate(sh.Cells(37, 2).Value)
        Dim LateCancelHours As String: LateCancelHours = sh.Cells(35, 2).Value
        Dim SheetCounter As Long: SheetCounter = 0

WbPath = ThisWorkbook.Path
        QTPath = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\..\" & "\..\"
'Call TurnOffFunctionality
        'If Not isFileOpen(DocYearName & ".xlsm") Then Workbooks.Open ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & "Work Allocation Sheets" & "\" & Site & "\" & DocYearName & ".xlsm"
        'If Not isFileOpen(QT) Then Workbooks.Open QTPath & "\" & QT

For Each ws In wb2.Worksheets
                If ws.Name <> "Cancellations" And ws.Name <> "Totals" And ws.Name <> "Sheet2" Then
                        With ws.[A3].CurrentRegion
                                'On Error Resume Next
                                'Autofilter the late cancel date enter in B37 with dates in column 1
                                .AutoFilter 1, LCDt
                                'Autofilter the late cancel request number with request numbers in column 3
                                .AutoFilter 3, LCReq

'Check to see if the date cell, column A, for a job has anything in it. If it doesn't, turn the autofilter off and skip to the next sheet.
                                If ws.[A3].Cells.Offset(1, 0) = "" Then
                                    .AutoFilter
                                    End If
                                    GoTo SkipNextSheet
                                End If

'Check the count Autofilter
                                AutoFilterCounter = .Columns(1).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Count
                                'If value less than 2, only the heading is visible so skip to the next sheet.
                                If AutoFilterCounter < 2 Then
                                    .AutoFilter
                                    'Add 1 to a sheet counter
                                    End If
                                    GoTo SkipNextSheet
                                End If

With Application.Intersect(.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible), .Offset(1, 0))
                                        'Check if there is a service entered in column 5 of the filtered job.

If .Areas(1).Cells(1, 5).Value = "" Then
                                            'Display a messagebox with a message and the sheet that has the missing service.
                                            MsgBox "There is a job in the " & ws.Name & " sheet that matches the date and request number but does not have a " & _
                                            "service type. Please add a service type to this job before continuing."
                                            Call TurnOnFunctionality
                                            .AutoFilter
                                            'Cells(32, 2).ClearContents
                                            'Cells(37, 2).ClearContents
                                            Exit Sub
                                        End If
                                        'If the service column, (5), has a value, store the service in the service variable.
                                        Service = .Areas(1).Cells(1, 5).Value
                                    End With

Dim LastRow As Long
                                LastRow = ws.Cells(ws.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
                                Dim rng As Range: Set rng = ws.Range("A4:A" & LastRow)

Dim rws&: rws = Range("A4:A" & Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(3).Row).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Count
                                'if this range is greater than 1, ask the below question, else continue
                                If rws > 1 Then
                                'If ws.Range("A4", ws.Range("A4").End(xlDown)) > 1 Then
                                    Dim answer As Integer
                                    Dim RowNumber As Long
                                    Dim RowLine As Range
                                    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
                                    For Each RowLine In rng.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible)
                                        ws.Activate
                                        RowLine.EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 6
                                        answer = MsgBox("Is this the job you want to apply the late cancel price too?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo + vbDefaultButton2, "Late Cancel Price")
                                        RowLine.EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 0
                                        If answer = vbYes Then
                                            'I had to include a -3 in here to account for the 3 rows above the data that don't have data in them
                                            RowNumber = RowLine.Row - 3
                                            GoTo FoundRightJob
                                        End If
                                        'If answer = vbNo

Next RowLine
                                End If
FoundRightJob:
                                'No has been selected each time so display a message box and exit sub
                                If RowNumber < 1 Then
                                    MsgBox "No jobs have been selected as a Late Cancel"
                                    .AutoFilter
                                    Exit Sub
                                End If
                                    'Copy data fom the job back to a calculator on the data sheet (this is the code name for sheet2) to calulcate the price again.
                                    With Data
                                        .Cells(30, 1) = CDate(LCDt)
                                        '.Cells(30, 1) = Format(Date, "d/mm/yyyy")
                                        '.Cells(30, 1).NumberFormat = "d/mm/yyyy"
                                        .Cells(30, 2) = Service
                                        'Set the hourly figure in the lateCanel table to be the LateCancelHours variable
                                        .Cells(30, 5) = LateCancelHours
                                        'A late cancel will be charged for 1 staff member attending
                                        'Therefore, set the Staff Req. figure to 1
                                        .Cells(30, 6) = 1
                                    End With
                                    On Error GoTo Price
                                        'Calculates price of late cancel on worksheet so the new price will be copied to the allocation sheet instead of the previous price
                                        Calculate
                                    LCPrice = Data.Cells(30, 8).Value
Price:
                                Select Case Err.Number
                                    Case Is = 13
                                        MsgBox "There is a problem with the spelling of the service type on the " & ws.Name & " sheet for the job that matches " _
                                        & "the date and request number. Please check the spelling and try again."
                                        'Cells(32, 2).ClearContents
                                        'Cells(37, 2).ClearContents
                                        .AutoFilter
                                        Call TurnOnFunctionality
                                        Exit Sub
                                End Select
                                On Error GoTo 0
                                With Application.Intersect(.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible), .Offset(1, 0))
                                    Dim LTCnclDate As String
                                    .Areas(1).Cells(RowNumber, 1).Value = "LT CNCL " & .Areas(1).Cells(1, 1).Value
                                    .Areas(1).Cells(RowNumber, 8).Value = LCPrice
                                    .Areas(1).Cells(RowNumber, 9).Formula = "=IF(RC[-4]=""Activities"",0,RC[-1]*0.1)"
                                    .Areas(1).Cells(RowNumber, 10).Formula = "=RC[-1]+RC[-2]"
                                End With
                                .AutoFilter
                        End With
                End If
SkipNextSheet:
        Next ws
'sh.Range("B32,B37").ClearContents
'Call TurnOnFunctionality
End Sub

Can someone help me work out why this occurs sometimes and not other times please?

Also
Why are you doing the calculation on the Data sheet THEN transferring it back to the Allocation sheet.
Why not simply catty out the calculations in the Allocation sheet?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Well, i have a very complex formula to calculate the price. The formula is an excel formula or function I think it is called. It took me quite some time to work it out and to save me reinventing the wheel and trying to work out a vba equivalent, I decided to Use this formula situated on another sheet. I also wrote it so I am using it as opposed to a vba equivalent as I understand it.

But, would It be faster to use a vba formula?

Upvote 0
I tried it and it seems to mostly work. There were a few error handlers that I had in the original code that are not in this code.

With the LateCancel sub, the price cannot be calculated if the service type is missing or miss spelt as I use index and match based on the service type to get the price. When the sub is run, I firstly want the code to check if there is a service type missing in column E or if it is spelt wrong. I have a list of valid service types on my data sheet in cells A17:A22.

I tried to add some code to your code but it wouldn't work. I was trying to write, for each row, if the service in column E is not one of the valid services in the list on the data sheet in cells A17:A22

VBA Code:
If Day(sh.Cells(37, 2)) >= 26 Then mth = MonthName(Month(sh.Cells(37, 2)) + 1)
Worksheets(mth).Activate
n = 0
lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

For r = 4 To lr
        if cells(r,5) not data.Cells((17,1),(22,1)) then

For r = 4 To lr

How do I correctly write this?

Upvote 0
You did tell me in a previous post that you were going to use Dropdown Lists for the Service type, so the user couldn't get it wrong....are you not doing that now ??
And your code would need to be
VBA Code:
For r = 4 To lr
        if cells(r,5) <> data.range(Cells(17,1),cells(22,1)) then exit sub

Upvote 0
Sorry, I forgot about that bit. But it may still be missing and in that case, the user needs to know what the specific problem is instead of getting a generic vba error.

By the way, thanks for the code.

Upvote 0
Rich (BB code):
But it may still be missing and in that case
How can it be missing if you have cretaed a list with all the options in it .... :mad:

Upvote 0
Actually, the sheet will be populated from my other spreadsheet, so it should already have the service in it. It can be modified manually though, and I am just trying to think of all possible errors.

Upvote 0
When I run my code now, I get the error Method range of object worksheet failed. I press debug and it highlights this line

VBA Code:
If Cells(r, 5) <> Data.Range(Cells(17, 1), Cells(22, 1)) Then

Here is the whole sub
VBA Code:
Sub LateCancel()
Dim sh As Worksheet, Service As String, LCPrice As Currency, answer As String, n As Integer, mth As String
Dim lr As Long, r As Long
mth = MonthName(Month(sh.Cells(37, 2)))
Worksheets(mth).Activate
n = 0
    For r = 4 To lr
        If Cells(r, 1).Value = LCDt And Cells(r, 3).Value = LCReq Then
                    'store the service in the service variable.
                If Cells(r, 5) <> Data.Range(Cells(17, 1), Cells(22, 1)) Then
                    MsgBox "The specified job does not have a service type. Please add on before continuing."
                End If
                Service = Cells(r, 5).Value
                Rows(r).Interior.ColorIndex = 6
                answer = MsgBox("Is this the job you want to apply the late cancel price too?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo + vbDefaultButton2, "Late Cancel Price")
                Rows(r).Interior.ColorIndex = 0
                    If answer = vbYes Then
                        With Data
                            .Cells(30, 2) = Service
                            .Cells(30, 5) = LateCancelHours 'Set the hourly figure in the lateCanel table to be the LateCancelHours variable
                            .Cells(30, 6) = 1
                     'Calculates price of late cancel on worksheet so the new price will be copied to the allocation sheet instead of the previous price
                            Calculate
                            LCPrice = .Cells(30, 8).Value
                       End With
                        Dim LTCnclDate As String
                    Cells(r, 1).Value = "LT CNCL " & Cells(r, 1).Value
                    Cells(r, 8).Value = LCPrice
                    Cells(r, 9).Formula = "=IF(RC[-4]=""Activities"",0,RC[-1]*0.1)"
                    Cells(r, 10).Formula = "=RC[-1]+RC[-2]"
                    If n <> 0 Then MsgBox "You have chosen not to apply Late Cancel to " & n & " jobs in " & Sheets(mth).Name
                Exit Sub
                End If
                End If

Next r
End Sub

This is my data
CSS Work Allocation Sheet.86.xlsm
ABCDEFGHIJ
3DatePurchase order #Req #NameServiceRequesting OrganisationCaseworker NamePrice ex. GSTGSTPrice inc. GST
4LT CNCL 5/07/202195oneSupervised contact$219.30$21.93$241.23
55/07/202195two$219.30$21.93$241.23
65/07/202195threeSupervised Contact$219.30$21.93$241.23
75/07/202195fourSupervised Transport
87/01/190058
98/01/190059
July
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
I4:I6I4=IF(E4="Activities",0,H4*0.1)
J4:J6J4=I4+H4

Because the service is missing in E5, I want the code to let the user know.

Upvote 0
Got it working with this Michael,

VBA Code:
Dim sh As Worksheet, Service As String, LCPrice As Currency, answer As String, n As Integer, mth As String
Dim lr As Long, r As Long
mth = MonthName(Month(sh.Cells(37, 2)))
Worksheets(mth).Activate
n = 0
    For r = 4 To lr
        If Cells(r, 1).Value = LCDt And Cells(r, 3).Value = LCReq Then
                    'store the service in the service variable.
                If Cells(r, 5) = "" Then                                            ' <> Data.Range(Cells(17, 1), Cells(22, 1)) Then
                    MsgBox "The specified job in row " & r & " does not have a service type. Please add a valid service type before continuing."
                    Exit Sub
                End If
                Service = Cells(r, 5).Value
                Rows(r).Interior.ColorIndex = 6
                Rows(r).Interior.ColorIndex = 0
                    If answer = vbYes Then
                        With Data
                            .Cells(30, 2) = Service
                            .Cells(30, 5) = LateCancelHours 'Set the hourly figure in the lateCanel table to be the LateCancelHours variable
                            .Cells(30, 6) = 1
                            Calculate
                            LCPrice = .Cells(30, 8).Value
                       End With
                        Dim LTCnclDate As String
                    Cells(r, 1).Value = "LT CNCL " & Cells(r, 1).Value
                    Cells(r, 8).Value = LCPrice
                    Cells(r, 9).Formula = "=IF(RC[-4]=""Activities"",0,RC[-1]*0.1)"
                    Cells(r, 10).Formula = "=RC[-1]+RC[-2]"
                    If n <> 0 Then MsgBox "You have chosen not to apply Late Cancel to " & n & " jobs in " & Sheets(mth).Name
                Exit Sub
                End If
                End If

Next r
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
9Kimo3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back