The correct row is not being highlighted and having appropriate code run on that row

dpaton05

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
This is a strange error as it happens to me sometimes, but not every time. There are two procedures that both are used to identify a row and do something to it. They are called Transfer and LateCancel. They both are meant to cycle through each row, highlighting one row at a time and ask "is this the row?" When the user selects Yes it does something to the row and exits the sub. If No is selected, the highlighting is removed from that row and the next row is highlighted, asking the same question. The subs are initiated from a totals sheet where there 2 spots to enter a date and a request number in some cells. One spot for the Transfer sub to run and one spot for the LateCancel.

The transfer sub is not self explanatory from it's name. This is run on jobs that are to be cancelled.

Order of events
  1. I run the sub Transfer from the totals sheet through a command button
  2. Row 4 in the July sheet is highlighted
  3. I am asked the question, "Is this the job you want to cancel?"
  4. I press No and the highlighting moves to row 5 and asks the same question.
  5. I press Yes on this row and the row is moved to the cancellations sheet and the sub is exited
  6. I run the sub again from the totals sheet
  7. Row 4 in the July sheet is highlighted
  8. I am asked the question, "Is this the job you want to cancel?"
  9. I press No and the highlighting moves to row 5 and asks the same question.
  10. I press Yes on this row and the row is moved to the cancellations sheet and the sub is exited
    1. This is exactly what I want it to do so far
  11. I now go back to the totals sheet and run the LateCancel sub
  12. There is one row left in the July sheet that matches the filters of the autofilter so I would expect that row to be highlighted
  13. The header row is highlighted next, where it should have highlighted the remaining row that matches the autofilter. It also asks me the above question.
  14. If I keep pressing No, the row is highlighted agan after each time and asked the same question
  15. If I press Yes, I get the error message that "No jobs have been selected as a late cancel"
  16. I run the LateCancel sub again from the totals sheet and it repeats the steps from step 12

1. I know that this is a sometimes error as if I re-open my file and run the LateCancel sub first, the 3 jobs are cycled though as expected, and I am asked the question each time.
  2. If I press Yes or No, it does what it's meant to do

I have been doing some testing and this is the totals sheet, where the information is entered. I leave it the same each time and just run the subs.

CSS Work Allocation Sheet.77.xlsm
BCDEFG
22Cancelling a job
23To cancel a job, enter the request number in B25 followed by the date of the proposed job in B27 then press enter and select the cancel the Cancel a job button.
24Request number
26Date
275/07/2021
29Late Cancel
30To enter a job as a late cancel, enter a request number first in B32, followed by the date of the proposed job in B37 then press enter and select the Add Late Cancel button.
31Request number
33Everytime you leave this sheet and return, this will be 3
34Hours charged for a late cancel
36Date
375/07/2021
Totals
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
B27Any value
B25Any value

I have been testing on the one date 5/07/2021 and here is a monthly sheet in the same document as the above sheet where the data is held.
CSS Work Allocation Sheet.77.xlsm
ABCDEFGHIJ
1501 CSS July
3DatePurchase order #Req #NameServiceRequesting OrganisationCaseworker NamePrice ex. GSTGSTPrice inc. GST
45/07/202195Tutoring$2.00
55/07/202195asdfSupervised Contact$219.30$21.93$241.23
65/07/202195asdfSupervised contact$219.30$21.93$241.23
July
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
I5I5=IF(E5="Activities",0,H5*0.1)
J5J5=I5+H5
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
F6:J6Any value

This is my Transfer sub
VBA Code:
Sub Transfer()
        Dim ws As Worksheet, sh As Worksheet, sht As Worksheet, AutoFilterCounter As Long
        Set sh = Sheets("Totals")
        Set sht = Sheets("Cancellations")
        Dim Req As String: Req = sh.[B25].Value
        Dim Dt As String: Dt = sh.[B27].Value
        Dim SheetCounter As Integer: SheetCounter = 0
'Call TurnOffFunctionality

For Each ws In Worksheets
                If ws.Name <> "Cancellations" And ws.Name <> "Totals" And ws.Name <> "Sheet2" Then
                        With ws.[A3].CurrentRegion
                                .AutoFilter 1, Dt           ' autofilter for the value in cell [B27]
                                .AutoFilter 3, Req          ' autofilter for the value in cell [B25]
                                                                    'Check to see if the date cell, column A, for a job has anything in it. If it doesn't, turn the autofilter off and skip to the next sheet.
                                    If ws.[A3].Cells.Offset(1, 0) = "" Then
                                        .AutoFilter
                                        SheetCounter = SheetCounter + 1
                                        'If SheetCounter = 12, none of the 12 monthly sheets have the entered date and request number so let the user know
                                        If SheetCounter = 12 Then
                                            MsgBox "A job with the date and request number entered does not exist"
                                        End If
                                        GoTo SkipSheet
                                    End If

'Check the count Autofilter
                                AutoFilterCounter = .Columns(1).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Count
                                'If value less than 2, only the heading is visible so skip to the next sheet.
                                If AutoFilterCounter < 2 Then
                                    .AutoFilter
                                    'Add 1 to a sheet counter
                                    'If SheetCounter = 12, none of the 12 monthly sheets have the entered date and request number so let the user know
                                    End If
                                    GoTo SkipSheet
                                End If

Dim LastRow As Long
                                LastRow = ws.Cells(ws.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
                                Dim rng As Range: Set rng = ws.Range("A4:A" & LastRow)

Dim rws&: rws = Range("A4:A" & Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(3).Row).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Count
                                'if this range is greater than 1, ask the below question, else continue
                                If rws > 1 Then
                                'If ws.Range("A4", ws.Range("A4").End(xlDown)) > 1 Then
                                    Dim answer As Integer, n As Integer
                                    Dim RowNumber As Long
                                    Dim RowLine As Range
                                    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
                                    n = 0
                                    For Each RowLine In rng.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible)
                                        ws.Activate
                                        RowLine.EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 6
                                        answer = MsgBox("Is this the job you want to cancel?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo + vbDefaultButton2, "Cancel Job")
                                        RowLine.EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 0
                                        If answer = vbYes Then
                                            'Copy and paste the selected row
                                            RowLine.EntireRow.Copy sht.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1)
                                            RowLine.EntireRow.Delete
                                            'I had to include a -3 in here to account for the 3 rows above the data that don't have data in them
                                            'RowNumber = RowLine.Row - 3
                                            GoTo FoundRightJob
                                        End If
                                        If answer = vbNo Then n = n + 1
                                    Next RowLine
                                If n > 0 Then MsgBox " You have chosen not to cancel any of the " & n & " job/s !!"
                                End If

FoundRightJob:

.AutoFilter                 ' turn off the autofilter
                        End With
                End If
SkipSheet:
        Next ws

'sh.Range("B25,B27").ClearContents
'Call TurnOnFunctionality
End Sub

This is my LateCancel sub
VBA Code:
Sub LateCancel()
        Dim ws As Worksheet, sh As Worksheet, sht As Worksheet, QT As String, wb2 As Workbook, WbPath As String, QTPath As String
        Dim Serv As String, Month As String, Service As String, LCPrice As String, AutoFilterCounter As Long
        Set wb2 = ThisWorkbook
        'QT = "CSS_quoting_tool_29.5.xlsm"
        Set sh = wb2.Worksheets("Totals")

'values on totals sheet that the user is looking for
        Dim LCReq As String: LCReq = sh.Cells(32, 2).Value
        'Dim LCDt As String: LCDt = sh.Cells(37, 2).Value
        Dim LCDt As String: LCDt = CDate(sh.Cells(37, 2).Value)
        Dim LateCancelHours As String: LateCancelHours = sh.Cells(35, 2).Value
        Dim SheetCounter As Long: SheetCounter = 0

WbPath = ThisWorkbook.Path
        QTPath = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\..\" & "\..\"
'Call TurnOffFunctionality
        'If Not isFileOpen(DocYearName & ".xlsm") Then Workbooks.Open ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & "Work Allocation Sheets" & "\" & Site & "\" & DocYearName & ".xlsm"
        'If Not isFileOpen(QT) Then Workbooks.Open QTPath & "\" & QT

For Each ws In wb2.Worksheets
                If ws.Name <> "Cancellations" And ws.Name <> "Totals" And ws.Name <> "Sheet2" Then
                        With ws.[A3].CurrentRegion
                                'On Error Resume Next
                                'Autofilter the late cancel date enter in B37 with dates in column 1
                                .AutoFilter 1, LCDt
                                'Autofilter the late cancel request number with request numbers in column 3
                                .AutoFilter 3, LCReq

'Check to see if the date cell, column A, for a job has anything in it. If it doesn't, turn the autofilter off and skip to the next sheet.
                                If ws.[A3].Cells.Offset(1, 0) = "" Then
                                    .AutoFilter
                                    End If
                                    GoTo SkipNextSheet
                                End If

'Check the count Autofilter
                                AutoFilterCounter = .Columns(1).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Count
                                'If value less than 2, only the heading is visible so skip to the next sheet.
                                If AutoFilterCounter < 2 Then
                                    .AutoFilter
                                    'Add 1 to a sheet counter
                                    End If
                                    GoTo SkipNextSheet
                                End If

With Application.Intersect(.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible), .Offset(1, 0))
                                        'Check if there is a service entered in column 5 of the filtered job.

If .Areas(1).Cells(1, 5).Value = "" Then
                                            'Display a messagebox with a message and the sheet that has the missing service.
                                            MsgBox "There is a job in the " & ws.Name & " sheet that matches the date and request number but does not have a " & _
                                            "service type. Please add a service type to this job before continuing."
                                            Call TurnOnFunctionality
                                            .AutoFilter
                                            'Cells(32, 2).ClearContents
                                            'Cells(37, 2).ClearContents
                                            Exit Sub
                                        End If
                                        'If the service column, (5), has a value, store the service in the service variable.
                                        Service = .Areas(1).Cells(1, 5).Value
                                    End With

Dim LastRow As Long
                                LastRow = ws.Cells(ws.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
                                Dim rng As Range: Set rng = ws.Range("A4:A" & LastRow)

Dim rws&: rws = Range("A4:A" & Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(3).Row).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Count
                                'if this range is greater than 1, ask the below question, else continue
                                If rws > 1 Then
                                'If ws.Range("A4", ws.Range("A4").End(xlDown)) > 1 Then
                                    Dim answer As Integer
                                    Dim RowNumber As Long
                                    Dim RowLine As Range
                                    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
                                    For Each RowLine In rng.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible)
                                        ws.Activate
                                        RowLine.EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 6
                                        answer = MsgBox("Is this the job you want to apply the late cancel price too?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo + vbDefaultButton2, "Late Cancel Price")
                                        RowLine.EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 0
                                        If answer = vbYes Then
                                            'I had to include a -3 in here to account for the 3 rows above the data that don't have data in them
                                            RowNumber = RowLine.Row - 3
                                            GoTo FoundRightJob
                                        End If
                                        'If answer = vbNo

Next RowLine
                                End If
FoundRightJob:
                                'No has been selected each time so display a message box and exit sub
                                If RowNumber < 1 Then
                                    MsgBox "No jobs have been selected as a Late Cancel"
                                    .AutoFilter
                                    Exit Sub
                                End If
                                    'Copy data fom the job back to a calculator on the data sheet (this is the code name for sheet2) to calulcate the price again.
                                    With Data
                                        .Cells(30, 1) = CDate(LCDt)
                                        '.Cells(30, 1) = Format(Date, "d/mm/yyyy")
                                        '.Cells(30, 1).NumberFormat = "d/mm/yyyy"
                                        .Cells(30, 2) = Service
                                        'Set the hourly figure in the lateCanel table to be the LateCancelHours variable
                                        .Cells(30, 5) = LateCancelHours
                                        'A late cancel will be charged for 1 staff member attending
                                        'Therefore, set the Staff Req. figure to 1
                                        .Cells(30, 6) = 1
                                    End With
                                    On Error GoTo Price
                                        'Calculates price of late cancel on worksheet so the new price will be copied to the allocation sheet instead of the previous price
                                        Calculate
                                    LCPrice = Data.Cells(30, 8).Value
Price:
                                Select Case Err.Number
                                    Case Is = 13
                                        MsgBox "There is a problem with the spelling of the service type on the " & ws.Name & " sheet for the job that matches " _
                                        & "the date and request number. Please check the spelling and try again."
                                        'Cells(32, 2).ClearContents
                                        'Cells(37, 2).ClearContents
                                        .AutoFilter
                                        Call TurnOnFunctionality
                                        Exit Sub
                                End Select
                                On Error GoTo 0
                                With Application.Intersect(.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible), .Offset(1, 0))
                                    Dim LTCnclDate As String
                                    .Areas(1).Cells(RowNumber, 1).Value = "LT CNCL " & .Areas(1).Cells(1, 1).Value
                                    .Areas(1).Cells(RowNumber, 8).Value = LCPrice
                                    .Areas(1).Cells(RowNumber, 9).Formula = "=IF(RC[-4]=""Activities"",0,RC[-1]*0.1)"
                                    .Areas(1).Cells(RowNumber, 10).Formula = "=RC[-1]+RC[-2]"
                                End With
                                .AutoFilter
                        End With
                End If
SkipNextSheet:
        Next ws
'sh.Range("B32,B37").ClearContents
'Call TurnOnFunctionality
End Sub

Can someone help me work out why this occurs sometimes and not other times please?

By you getting me to update the code myself, I now feel comfortable using for statements, so thanks for that Michael.

I got it to work with this code:

VBA Code:
Sub Transfer()
    Dim ws As Worksheet, Sh As Worksheet, Cncl As Worksheet, AutoFilterCounter As Long, mth As String, r As Long, lr As Long, answer As String, n As Long
    Set Sh = Sheets("Totals")
    Set Cncl = Sheets("Cancellations")
    Dim Req As String: Req = Sh.[B25].Value
    Dim Dt As String: Dt = Sh.[B27].Value
    mth = MonthName(Month(Sh.Cells(27, 2)))
    If Day(Sh.Cells(37, 2)) >= 26 Then mth = MonthName(Month(Sh.Cells(37, 2)) + 1)
    Worksheets(mth).Activate
    lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
    n = 0
        For r = 4 To lr
            If Cells(r, 1).Value = Dt And Cells(r, 3).Value = Req Then
                'Highlight the row colour so the user knows what row the question is relating to
                Rows(r).Interior.ColorIndex = 6
                answer = MsgBox("Is this the job you want to cancel?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo + vbDefaultButton2, "Job Cancellation")
                Rows(r).Interior.ColorIndex = 0
                If answer = vbYes Then
                    'Copy the row number which is the number of the iteration of the for loop
                    Rows(r).EntireRow.Copy Cncl.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1)
                    Rows(r).EntireRow.Delete
                Exit Sub
                End If
            End If
        Next r
    If n > 0 Then MsgBox " You have chosen to not cancel any of the " & n & " job/s matching the date and request number."
End Sub

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Woo Hoo.....what a great effort !!
Did you have many error issues along the way ??
Well done mate. :cool: (y)

Upvote 0
Thanks Michael. I think it was rather straight forward copying and modifying the code from the LateCancel sub or as I don't have a good memory, I can't remember any issues that I had. Probably wasn't any as I started about 1 hour ago and now it is working. :)

Upvote 0
Hmmm....So now for the rest of the workbook VBA code.....;)
BTW, you need to update your profile to reflect what Platform( see my profile) and versions of Office you are using

Upvote 0
I think you both deserve a couple of pats on the back for the patience and perseverence. @dpaton05 = The best way to learn is by trial and error. When you make the big mistakes like perpetual loops and memory overflows, you remember them and usuallyt avoid doing them more than 50 or 60 times a year. But the point is, you will never vecome a proficient coder unless you are willing to make mistakes along the way. Don't fear the computer, especially when using the vb editor to develop code. While the editor may not be the best in the world, it is good enough to keep you from wrecking your harddrive. or other permanent damage. And you always have the forums to fall back on when you hit a really tough one. Learn how to search the web for age old remedies to your problems and using the built in Excel and VBA help to access spec sheets and sample coding. Read the entire spec sheet because they have little tidbits of info tucked away in the narratives that point out exceptions to using certain methods. Learn what the limitations of Excel is by searchng for the 'Excel specifications and limitations' sheet. If you really want to become a good coder, design a personal project like a bank balance program or a personal budget program that track outlay against budget. You can work on those at home and learn how to create UserForms that interact with worksheets , etc. You have a good start with this thread and you should not stop now.

Regards, JLG

Upvote 0
I'd also be revisiting the Data Sheet in the LateCancel Sub to eliminate using it altogether.
Anything you do on that sheet would surely be able to be done via VBA directly.....just a thought !
@JLGWhiz Thanks for staying on this thread, extra eyes are always a bonus..... (y) (y)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the idea and I will keep it in mind but seeing as though it is working now, there may be other things I need to carry on with.

Upvote 0
With this code
VBA Code:
Sub Transfer()
    Dim ws As Worksheet, Sh As Worksheet, Cncl As Worksheet, mth As String, r As Long, lr As Long, answer As String, n As Long
    Set Sh = Sheets("Totals")
    Set Cncl = Sheets("Cancellations")
    Dim Req As String: Req = Sh.[B25].Value
    Dim Dt As String: Dt = Sh.[B27].Value
    mth = MonthName(Month(Sh.Cells(27, 2)))
    If Day(Dt) >= 26 Then mth = MonthName(Month(Dt) + 1)
    Worksheets(mth).Activate
    lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
    n = 0
        For r = 4 To lr
            If Cells(r, 1).Value = Dt And Cells(r, 3).Value = Req Then
                'Highlight the row colour so the user knows what row the question is relating to
                Rows(r).Interior.ColorIndex = 6
                answer = MsgBox("Is this the job you want to cancel?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo + vbDefaultButton2, "Job Cancellation")
                Rows(r).Interior.ColorIndex = 0
                If answer = vbYes Then
                    'Copy the row number which is the number of the iteration of the for loop
                    Rows(r).EntireRow.Copy Cncl.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1)
                    Rows(r).EntireRow.Delete
                    Exit Sub
                End If
            End If
        Next r
    If n > 0 Then MsgBox " You have chosen to not cancel any of the " & n & " job/s matching the date and request number."
End Sub

I have 10655 entered in column C in the march sheet for a row and also in B25 of the totals sheet. I have 27/02/2022 entered in B27 on the totals sheet and in the same row job that has the request number of 10655 but in column A. When I run the transfer code, it won't move the specified row.

My code is meant to move rows to the cancellations sheet but it won't find the current row as just described, despite there being multiple rows. Can someone help me please?

Upvote 0
When the code is run, does the appropriate row get highlighted ??
Works fine for me using your data !

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back