The database has been placed in a state by user 'Admin'......

legalhustler

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
My Excel spreadsheet is linked to my Access database. When the Access database is opened by another user and I need to refresh the data in Excel, I get the following message (in Excel):

"ODBC Microsoft Access Driver Login Failed.

The database has been placed in a state by user 'Admin' on machine 'XXXXX' that prevents it from being opened or locked."

If I clik Ok it asks for a login name/password. What does this do? And what login name/password do I use?

If the DB is closed by the user then I can refresh the data fine in Excel.

Last edited:
Yes they are able to make those changes from the front end (by way of the form created to modify/delete/add) reflect in the back end.
Make sure each user has the right permissions to do so. It must be set so that the user of the frontend has *full* read, write, create and delete
privileges on the folder containing the backend DB. (Talk to Network admin that maintains the permissions).

The thing is they never need to get another copy of the Master Front End DB since they can use their local copy. The only time that they needed to get an updated copy is when you change things like by adding in new forms, queries, or need to link new tables etc. Since the FE is linked to BE the data would always be updated when they open the FE Db again.

The other option that you could go through if you had funds would be Access Services on SharePoint. That's something that I'm working on right now and it is possible to make the DB a Web DB where users go to a website fill in the data, then the DB (which is hooked up to SQL Server) gets updated. I'm not sure of the entire thing but sounds interesting.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back