The dreaded one cell per page print problem - excel 2007

new4me

I have a worksheet that is 122 lines X 13 columns, size 12 fonts, although this has happened in the past with various size worksheets. Excel has arbitrarily divided the worksheet into 5 pages down & 2 columns wide equaling 10 pages altogether. I have tried to manipulate this into – say 2 or 3 pages down and most importantly – one page wide. I have done this with hundreds of larger worksheets, generally with no problem. However, when I try to adjust the pages in any way I get the dreaded one page per cell treatment in page break preview where each cell is assigned it’s own page, leaving me with thousands of print pages of one cell each. I reset the print area to one cell, and widen out; try to change the scaling to various percentages or ‘fit to X pages wide by X pages tall’, adjusted the margins, yet I am stuck in this endless loop of not being able to get out of one page per cell.

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
What's your DPI set to in Page Setup Options? You might need to change your Print Driver.

Upvote 0
What's your DPI set to in Page Setup Options? You might need to change your Print Driver.

It's usually 600. For this it was 300. I changed it to various settings and it did not help. I am printing to a pdf.

Upvote 0
300, in my experience, doesn't work. That means you have an incompatible Print Driver - find another one.

Upvote 0
Are you saying your Print Driver is the PDF Add-in? If so, I shall bow out, that thing is buggy, at best.

Upvote 0
Are you saying your Print Driver is the PDF Add-in? If so, I shall bow out, that thing is buggy, at best.

Yes, that's it.

Anyone else have ideas?

Should I redo the worksheet outside of the application and bring it in again?

Many of us in the office have this problem occasionally. I can usually fix it.

Upvote 0
Well, it happened again OUTSIDE of the add-in.

While trying to resize pages in the print preview, suddenly the preview goes crazy, assigining a page to each and every cell. It's as if when you make the page too large for Excel's liking, it goes into an endless do loop of dividing your page into one cell pages anytime you touch the margins.

Anyone have any ideas?

Upvote 0
Quick and easy to fix - at least, I've found this to be very reliable.

Change your printer, then change it back.

From some speculation and some educated guesswork, what seems to be happening is that Excel is grabbing a copy of the printer driver to determine exactly what your file will look like when printed. Sometimes that printer driver gets corrupted, so we end up with things like the one-cell-per-page problem. To fix it, go to File > Print in 2003 and earlier or Office > Print > Prnt in 2007 to open the print dialogue. Change to a different printer (I suggest the Office document image writer, as it is part of MS Office), and preview the result. Then go back to the print dialogue and switch back to the original printer.

This seems to fix the problem 100% of the times I have had to try it.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem. The change printer sugesstion did not fix the problem for me. In my situation I only have one problem worksheet. All others work fine. I am running Excel 2007 on a Windows 2008 RDP client. Previously we had used an earlier version of Excel (2003), on an older RDP (Windows 2000). Something in the upgrade did not work.

The problem only occurs with our Xerox DocuCentre 3007 printer. I can print OK to our HP Laserjet. So it appears there is some bad combination with this specific worksheet and this particular printer driver.

We ahve tried reinstalling print drivers with no success. At present I'm considering just changing printers to avoid the problem.

Upvote 0
Same problem. Using 2013. Seems to only be happening when I print to our Toshiba printers. I've also been printing to a PDF then printing the PDF to the Toshiba printer. Thinking this a printer driver issue.

I changed the scale to fit one page and the height was set to automatic. This put me at about a scale of 77% and everything looks like it will print fine. After you hit print, it will break up the cells and print a single cell per page. I go back to look at the scale and it gets set to 10% somehow. if you take it all the way up to 400% the cells don't all fit on the page.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristineC

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back